New macbook drops connection to AEBS intermittently - turning off security helps!

Reaction score
Hi guys, I just purchased a new macbook and AEBS for home use and replaced my old WRT54g with a new network. Problem is my macbook seems to take a few minutes to access the network out of sleep and also drops the connection intermittently during the day and requires a restart or waiting approx. 10 mins. My iMac which is part of the network runs flawlessly.

The macbook works well if wired to the AEBS. I've downloaded AP grapher to make sure interference was not an issue and have a channel that works well. The signal strength is also good, so it's not a signal issue. I've changed the DHCP lease time to 365 days and IPv6 to local-link only without any improvement.

The only thing that helps is turning off WPA2 to no encryption, which allows a super fast connection. I also updated the firmware and airport utility to the latest versions without avail. There are tons of threads on the internet and I haven't been able to find a suitable solution. Does anyone have any suggestions please?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
D
Reaction score
thanks very much for the link, there's a very good suggestion that i'll try doing when i get home. I'll let you guys know how it goes soon. It might help others.

OP
D
Reaction score
the suggestion on the forum did the trick, thanks for the post. Here's what I had to do.

1. Open network preferences from your WiFi icon in the menu bar. Then click advanced. Delete the network that is giving you problems.

2. Open Keychain in the utilities folder of your hard drive. Find the passwords that are stored for your particular network and delete them. There may be multiple passwords for your network, so search carefully.

3. Repair permissions using the disk utility.

4. Reboot the computer.

5. Reenter your network data to log into the network.

been working flawlessly for the last 3-4 hours. Hopefully it sticks. Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.