Thinking of buying a Mac

Reaction score
I am thinking of buying a Mac. I really have no interest in games anymore (only 1..Starcraft 2), and I am really starting to hate Windows. I have no compelling reason to stay on it. So, I think I'll buy a Mac when my computer dies..but..

1) I use MSN messenger, and use the webcam a lot. I know Parallels I can use Parallels and Windows, but will the webcam work? (either a USB cam or the iSight..I don't care..)

2) I also like to 3D model with 3D Studio Max. Does this program work under Parallels?

3) Also...Video Editing. I use Adobe Premiere. Can Parallels run this as well?

The model I'll get would be an iMac..(unsure of the specs, since I don't know when I'll buy it, or what year).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD
You might could run those through parallels but it would more than likely be really slow. Your best bet would be to buy OS X native apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
do not get the MSN messenger for Mac. There are no video chat capabilities (at least from what I have seen when I use it).

the rest you would be better off finding Mac OS X native apps, like babarnette said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
for MSN you can use meebo for video chat I have tried and it works. there's aMSN that says it has video capabilities but it didn't work for me.

Reaction score
3) I'm sure theres a mac OSX version of premiere available? there is for every other piece of software in CS3.

2) i think you would be better off in boot camp with 3ds max as then you can run it at top speed.

Blender is another 3d software, works in Mac OSx, open source and FREE!
http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/

Autodesk Maya also works in Mac i think.

I'm slightly worried that your buying a mac so you can run everything under parallels which is a bit pointless.

Reaction score
Use Skype for your chatting if you are insistent on using video conferencing. I heard that aMSN works as well, but I personally don't like the interface very much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
that meebo looks good

For Premier, you can cross grade your PC version for a mac version

Adobe will allow you to perform a cross-grade, or cross-platform upgrade, of your Adobe product, assuming it meets the upgrade qualifications and provided you send them a signed Letter of Software Destruction. The Letter of Destruction states that you agree to delete all copies of the product you are exchanging and also that you will not "sell, transfer, give away, donate, or otherwise distribute the exchanged Adobe product or copies to anyone else."

You will still need to pay the upgrade cost, and you will need to conduct the purchase via telephone by calling Adobe Sales at 1-800-833-6687 (see Adobe.com for international numbers). The Letter of Software Destruction may be faxed, e-mailed, or snail-mailed to Adobe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.16 GHz, 2GB RAM, 160GB HDD. 16 GB Wi-Fi iPad, 16 GB iPhone 3GS.
I think that for someone who would plan to use parallels extensively, this would be a situation where it would be better for you to stick to Windows.

Reaction score
I think that for someone who would plan to use parallels extensively, this would be a situation where it would be better for you to stick to Windows.

Yes. Agreed. If your machine is currently fine then i don't see the point in buying a mac to use it with parallels.

If the machine is dying however, it might be worth considering a mac and use it with boot camp - as it would look much better, save space and without the constant hum of a pc fan deafening you! ;D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.