Another Firewire Hdd problem

P

projectsky

Hi guys,

Sorry to bother you all, but I recently installed a new 160Gb Maxtor Hdd in a Firewire casing (Metal Gear Box) on my iMac 17" G4. But when I switched on the Metal Gear Box, the Mac never recognized the Hard Disk. I checked the firewire cable with my iPod, and it seems to be working fine. The power seems to be good too, as the Metal Gear Box starts up fine.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
have you formatted the drive? open disk utility and see if it shows up in the colum on the left, or boot from the panther install disk 1, open disk utility, and reformat the drive, it needs to be mac os extended journaled hfs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
so was that it? the formatting, or lack there of?

OP
J

jchae

Hi I have a similar problem. Here's a screenshot. FirstAid says the volume is okay, (I had formatted it to HFS as soon as I installed it,)but it just won't mount properly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I see no screenshot, and is yours an internal or external? what brand, size, connection type, etc?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.