increase windows partition trouble

Reaction score
I am attempting to increase the size of my windows partition. In accordance with the advice of this an other forums, I backed up my windows stuff and used bootcamp to merge the two partitions back into one Mac partition. That all went fine...
Now, when I attempt to partition the drive again, I get this message:

"The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.
Back up the disk and use Disk Utility to format it as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume. Restore your information to the disk and try using Boot Camp Assistant again."

I repaired the disk and it is journaled and still have this same error. Anyone else have this problem?
I am running OS 10.4.11 on an intel macbook pro.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
elyons,

Those are the files that programs scatter over the hard drive. They have to be corralled before you can do what you need to do. Just repairing the disk won't do it... You'll have to backup everything on the hard drive to an external drive and then erase it and re-format the internal drive, then you can restore the backup and re-partition the drive for Boot Camp.

I suggest you use SuperDuper to make a bootable backup on the external drive. Then you can restore it using SuperDuper easily.

Noel

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks

Noel,
Thanks for the help. I found that defragging the drive also accomplishes the same thing and I already bought the defrag software... I guess the moral of the story is make your windows partition the right size the FIRST time.

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.