Can Powerbk detect PC HDD?

L

lunacy

Hey guys, i'm new to Mac, ( in fact VERY NEW just a couple of mth ) and err, because ive got this super drive, i'd like to knoe if powerbks can read hdd from pc?

I've got this pc hdd taken out from casing and placed in this USB deck thingy. and i was hoping to conect it to powerbk to burn data ffiles into DVD as backup.
Is that possible?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
lunacy said:
Hey guys, i'm new to Mac, ( in fact VERY NEW just a couple of mth ) and err, because ive got this super drive, i'd like to knoe if powerbks can read hdd from pc?

I've got this pc hdd taken out from casing and placed in this USB deck thingy. and i was hoping to conect it to powerbk to burn data ffiles into DVD as backup.
Is that possible?
If I understand this right. You have placed a PC formatted drive in an USB enclosure. Assuming an USB 1.2 connection, you should be able to connect the enclosure to the USB port. And if you are lucky the Mac should see the drive. It would not hurt to try. :)

OP
L

lunacy

rman said:
If I understand this right. You have placed a PC formatted drive in an USB enclosure. Assuming an USB 1.2 connection, you should be able to connect the enclosure to the USB port. And if you are lucky the Mac should see the drive. It would not hurt to try. :)

Hi,
Thanks but erm im not very familiar wif the tech terms here (sorry ^^::),
Do u mean that Mac does not use usb 2.0?
cus i think most decks are using usb 2.0 or smth

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
The older Macs use USB 1.2. I am not sure which Mac has USB 2.0. Which Mac do you have?

OP
H

hokiethang

rman said:
The older Macs use USB 1.2. I am not sure which Mac has USB 2.0. Which Mac do you have?

theoretically none of the macs have USB 2 yet. But the G5 and the newer G4s seem to be able to support it with a software update.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Well, shouldn't any USB beable to use it, just not at the same bandwidth.. I often see USB 2.0 working with 1.2 ports... cables you can buy at cheap-mart are all 2.0 with 1.2 supported...

OP
H

hokiethang

Graphite said:
Well, shouldn't any USB beable to use it, just not at the same bandwidth.. I often see USB 2.0 working with 1.2 ports... cables you can buy at cheap-mart are all 2.0 with 1.2 supported...

yeah i forgot about that, USB should be backward compatible, unlike firewire.

OP
T

tfbonline

To answer the original question, yep Mac will see external PC hard drive if fitted into a USB cradle. - As far as the hardware goes, they're nearly all the same thing anyway. Standard common or garden IDE drives.

There is supposed to be a MAC USB 2 implementation in the G5, but it does need software patches, as Apple seem to have messed it up a bit. (Not an anti Mac comment here! To me a computer's a computer)

Tim

OP
H

heyclement

Supposedly yes. 'cause the new G4 PowerBooks should be able to read both the NTSF and FAT32 formats of PC harddisk. However, I've read it somewhere that they're only able to write to FAT32 and not NTSF.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.