Max recommended monitor size

Reaction score
Hello,

Is there a maximum monitor size I can use with my 2.5GHz MBP? I'm considering using a 30" if possible.

And to use an external monitor would I simply have to lower the MBP screen to put the MBP into hibernation mode. Then awaken it with the desktop keyboard or mouse?

Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
30" should work fine. Not sure of the max size. And yes, that's how it works with the external monitor and keyboard hooked up. Make sure you have the display option set to "mirror" rather than extend the desktop.

Close the lid on the MBP and put it to sleep. Waken it by clicking your mouse or tapping any key on the keyboard. The external display will come to life while the internal will remain off. Once the external display lights up, you can open the lid on the MBP or if you wish, keep it closed. The internal display will remain off. Don't forget to purchase the correct adaptor(s) for hooking up the 30" display to the MBP.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
just buy a HDTV and use that... i have a 46" LCD 1080p i use sometimes..

OP
D
Reaction score
30" should work fine. Not sure of the max size. And yes, that's how it works with the external monitor and keyboard hooked up. Make sure you have the display option set to "mirror" rather than extend the desktop.

Close the lid on the MBP and put it to sleep. Waken it by clicking your mouse or tapping any key on the keyboard. The external display will come to life while the internal will remain off. Once the external display lights up, you can open the lid on the MBP or if you wish, keep it closed. The internal display will remain off. Don't forget to purchase the correct adaptor(s) for hooking up the 30" display to the MBP.

Regards.

Thanks chscag. I won't be going with anything larger than a 30" though as this will sit on my desk in my computer room. Running it probably at 1920x1080. The MBP comes with a DVI/parallel cable. Though might possibly be too short. Will see.

And I just checked the System Preferences/Display. Where would I select "mirror" and not "stretched"? I have my MBP set to maximum resolution 1440x900.

Also, would the graphics card be able to display 1920x1080? I'm assuming it should. That I'm only limited by the MBP's max res correct?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.