Random app and os crashes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
A few days go I started having some problems with my system.
I'm running OS X 10.5.4 on a 2GHz Intel C2D MacBook (mid 2007).

The problem appears to be random, and so far I haven't been able to identify it. Every once in a while, applications will cease to start up. They simply stop working, there's no way to open them. At first, Firefox started crashing repeatedly, so I re-installed it and everything went normal for a while.

Yesterday the problem became more serious. After several hours of use, several applications stop responding. Lets say I want to use Transmit, or Coda, or Remote Desktop, whatever. I try to launch them and they just freeze. I have to Force Quit them they and won't start up until I restart the system.

Even worse; in some occasions Force Quit doesn't even do anything. The dock freezes, Finder freezes, the Menu Bar crashes. I have to do a force shutdown of the system to get everything back to normal again.

I used to have my system up for days between restarts. In two days I had to restart OS X almost 5 times.

I used Onyx (latest version) and performed every single maintenance task: repaired permission, cleared system, users, apps and font caches, rebuilt the Spotloght index, run maintenance scripts, rebuilt Launch Services. I also removed unused apps, system preferences, helper apps and stuff I don't need.

Apparently it did fixed something, as I notice that everyhintg works a bit faster and snappier. Every apps launched just fine. I left my mac all night doing some SuperDuper! backups and went to bed.

This morning everything was ok, until I few hours ago when I tried to use Software Update. The app failed the start up. Suddenly, not a single app would. I had to restart to get everything back to normal.

It appear to be working for the moment, but I fear that in a few hours it'll become unstable again. Has anyone had this kind of problem before?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Wheeljack,

You've had you Mac for about a year? Do you have Apple Care? I'd call Apple Tech support if you're covered and talk to them about the problem. Could be a power supply problem. Is your battery charging OK? Does it keep a charge? Random crashes is often a function of an overheating CPU, so it could also be that, a failed fan or your motherboard.

Check it out if you're covered. If you're not, and it keeps happening, I'd take it in for a check-out and pay the piper to find out...

Noel

OP
Wheeljack
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.53GHz, 6GB of RAM, Seagate Momentus XT 500GB (late 2008)
Hey Noel,

I don't think it's hardware related. The battery charges ok, has about 100 load cycles and 100% health. I get almost 5 hours of it. It's in tip top shape.

The CPU temps are normal, about 50-60º. Even so, I'll check the temps whenever it happens again. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Wheeljack,

One other thing to try - download Mainmenu here http://www.santasw.com/ and run the scripts and use it to clear your caches. After you install, there will be an icon on your top menu on the right side. Select it and go the Mainmenu at the bottom, select Preferences and check all of the items there (except maybe trash), Then run "Execute Batch Tasks." That will clean up your OS X and machine functions and maybe clear up some of your malady. Run it every day or two and it will keep the machine in good shape.

Hope it helps, Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.