Home made IDISK any idea..?

Reaction score
I would like to set up a web based idisk so i can access my files anywhere just like apples version, but i want to use my home windows server machine as the host. Is there any software out there i can do this with,.. thanks

M

MacInWin

If all you want is to access it from inside your home network, it's easy. Set up the Windows drive you want to hold the files with sharing. Password it if you want, but unless you have folks that might get to it that you don't want to, it's not required. If you have a wireless router, I'd password it, but if your network is all wired and you trust everyone with access, skip it.

Now use Finder->Go->Connect to server and give the ip address and sharename of the disk you just set up on the windows box. It should now ask for any password you set up and then mount the location. Now you can read/write to that just like any drive.

If you want to access it from outside your home network, that is more tricky and not secure. That's also beyond my ability.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks

well i got that bit but ive found out how to do it, i was sharing locally before but now i have both so i can access my files at school.
I got this server program called
"easy file sharing web server" its great not free by the way but great it produces a web site that you can access your files, you can have multiple users and all sorts..

THANKS

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.