• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

The Mac and PC are in a funny ole world...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
For instance you start a thread talking about Windows, somewhere further down the thread it all become confusing as silly users think a PC is a Windows thing and vice-versa. But it's NOT!!!

Lets set something straight, once and for all... Cause i'm sick of reading a PC is a crapie thing and it crashes like this or that.... arrrrgh!!!

HELLO!!! Are you ready?

Might sound shocking to non computer dweebs out there who have just sold or trashed their old P.C rigs for a spanking new Apple System. But what i'm about to say is completely true!

A P.C aka 'personal computer' is just the common interchangeable hardware platform that Microsoft's operating system runs on. When i say hardware you might think Dell, Compaq, Sony VIAO and the likes, but if you grab a screw driver and strip away the fancy covering, usually the annoying custom case that some manufactures uses, then examine it's guts. You'll see a motherboard manufactured by some other Taiwanese company thats nothing to do with the american or japanese giant (except Compaq & Sony VIAO cause they like to build custom things and make you re mortgage the home to own them) and various other daughter boards sitting in the slots. Now this a what should be referred to as a PC.

There are other users out there that also use and run a P.C (like me) But we don't all use WINDOWS (cause it is pooh!). On the P.C platform you can use all the various distro of LINUX, the many flavours of UNIX, BE OS if you can find it AND you can even tweek it to run MAC OSX. All without touching Microsoft's Windows.

And for those Mac users out there that say they hate PC's

Well, i hate to shock you too... the average Apple Macintosh is made from the same common components as found in a common PC, the only difference between the two, is the Motherboard (or as Apple likes to calls it Logic Board, Processor and onboard Firmware (BIOS). Other than this, EVERYTHING else is the same.

:miner:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
While you're technically correct, yes a Mac is a PC, it's pretty common to use PC as a Windows based machine term as opposed to a Mac. So while there is a technical definition of a PC, for all intents and purposes, in the real world, PC is synonymous with Windows.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
schweb said:
While you're technically correct, yes a Mac is a PC, it's pretty common to use PC as a Windows based machine term as opposed to a Mac. So while there is a technical definition of a PC, for all intents and purposes, in the real world, PC is synonymous with Windows.

Couldn't have said it better myself...

Also, just wanted to add..You were talking about how PC's were basically the same as Macs hardware.. And technically you're right...but..there is one major differernce. PC Hardware, is often associated with....CR*P!

MOST PC Hardware is cheap cr*p! Mac Hardware, however is def. not.

Mac Hardware is known for quality..And I'm sure we can all agree on that!

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!
ApplejustWorks said:
Couldn't have said it better myself...

Also, just wanted to add..You were talking about how PC's were basically the same as Macs hardware.. And technically you're right...but..there is one major differernce. PC Hardware, is often associated with....CR*P!

MOST PC Hardware is cheap cr*p! Mac Hardware, however is def. not.

Mac Hardware is known for quality..And I'm sure we can all agree on that!

It's only true because there isn't any other manufacturer that making parts and selling them under their own brand. Everything that is apple is made for apple and they all go thought the same quality control as the original Macintosh.

Still dunno why you say that PC's are cheap and crap? They still use the same high quality chipsets are the more expensive bands, they just use a cheaper grade of other components, such as resisters, ploy-layers, capacitors. And the quality control might be a bit lame, but if you spend $300 on a PC system, you do get what you paid for! C R A P! Would you say it's crap if you spent $3000 on a system?

On the Apple platform you don't have a choice in the matter, it's either you buy from Apple or buy second user from someone. Ofcourse you can build your own by buying new and used parts from the likes of eBay, but all the parts still come from Apple Computers, Inc.

V

vuschejan

hype.it said:
On the Apple platform you don't have a choice in the matter, it's either you buy from Apple or buy second user from someone. Ofcourse you can build your own by buying new and used parts from the likes of eBay, but all the parts still come from Apple Computers, Inc.

Aye, very nice way of putting it, I like it. Also, Hype's right about them being the same parts. The G5 PowerMac is made up of parts you could get from any manufacturing plant. For example, lets take the processor in the G5(The G5) IBM owns the processor. Apple didnt make it, they have nothing to do with how much quality is in it because its IBM's not theirs. Its associated with Apple because they buy them for their computers. In reference to this the new Xbox bought the G5 from IBM and is planned to be used in it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
true, as Ive stated here before, a mac is a pc, meaning personal computer, and is in most cases more personal than a wintel box, I pity windows users, its not their fault they know no better. but yes, youre right in that technically and descriptively, a mac is a personal computer.

OP
hype.it
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macman said:
true, as Ive stated here before, a mac is a pc, meaning personal computer, and is in most cases more personal than a wintel box, I pity windows users, its not their fault they know no better. but yes, youre right in that technically and descriptively, a mac is a personal computer.

Aye... Do you mind?

I consider myself a P.C user but i don't choose Windows as my OS of choice, i use Windows for a coffee cup stand, and no it not MacOSX either.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
hype.it said:
Would you say it's crap if you spent $3000 on a system?

Yes..I would say it's crap if I spent 3,000...Because...I spent $3500 on my last top of the line Dell....And now, looking at it, its just simply poor quality...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20-inch iMac, 1GB RAM, 160 GB hard drive
hype.it said:
For instance you start a thread talking about Windows, somewhere further down the thread it all become confusing as silly users think a PC is a Windows thing and vice-versa. But it's NOT!!!

Lets set something straight, once and for all... Cause i'm sick of reading a PC is a crapie thing and it crashes like this or that.... arrrrgh!!!

HELLO!!! Are you ready?

Might sound shocking to non computer dweebs out there who have just sold or trashed their old P.C rigs for a spanking new Apple System. But what i'm about to say is completely true!

A P.C aka 'personal computer' is just the common interchangeable hardware platform that Microsoft's operating system runs on. When i say hardware you might think Dell, Compaq, Sony VIAO and the likes, but if you grab a screw driver and strip away the fancy covering, usually the annoying custom case that some manufactures uses, then examine it's guts. You'll see a motherboard manufactured by some other Taiwanese company thats nothing to do with the american or japanese giant (except Compaq & Sony VIAO cause they like to build custom things and make you re mortgage the home to own them) and various other daughter boards sitting in the slots. Now this a what should be referred to as a PC.

There are other users out there that also use and run a P.C (like me) But we don't all use WINDOWS (cause it is pooh!). On the P.C platform you can use all the various distro of LINUX, the many flavours of UNIX, BE OS if you can find it AND you can even tweek it to run MAC OSX. All without touching Microsoft's Windows.

And for those Mac users out there that say they hate PC's

Well, i hate to shock you too... the average Apple Macintosh is made from the same common components as found in a common PC, the only difference between the two, is the Motherboard (or as Apple likes to calls it Logic Board, Processor and onboard Firmware (BIOS). Other than this, EVERYTHING else is the same.

:miner:
True, but even if you're not running Windows, PC hardware still sucks. Apple's G5 leaves Intel's processors in the dust.

V

vuschejan

The Trooper said:
True, but even if you're not running Windows, PC hardware still sucks. Apple's G5 leaves Intel's processors in the dust.

Did you not listen to what I said? "Apple's G5" is not Apple's they bought it from IBM. You have choice for what kind of processor you want in your computer. Apple has no hardware that is in the processor market. The g4's are motorola's therefor how can Apple hardware, which isnt thier's at all be better than everything else.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook | 1.83ghz | 2gb ram
True but it's easier to type than "windows-based machine". I expect people will understand what you're trying to get across regardless of what you call it anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid-2011 MBP 13" i5

Ahhh, the age-old which is better argument. I am a mac user but that's just cause I like the OS which is far superior IMHO. I work in computers doing tech support and have a decent background in college with programming etc. The wintel x86 is much faster for most things because the hardware is much faster. Mac's have crap vid cards out of the box (especially for a computer that expensive) and to upgrade that you can buy a pc with a higher clock rate than the mac your upgrading. Mac ram is always simply outrageous in price comparatively.Macs also like to claim that their hardware is better...Simply not true, look at the problems they have with the powerbook motherboards, or the G5 motherboards. That is the heart of the system and they're having to replace them all the time. Mac's are extremely overpriced and have no compatibility with 90% of all software.The only thing in mac's favor here is that they consume less power while performing the same tasks. Which is not to say that they perform faster, they simply consume less power. Macs are better looking more user friendly out of the box computers with a hefty price tag. Their RISC processors are great for power consumption but an equally priced x86 will always outperform it in unbiased tests. Apple has been caught cheating head to head tests in the past. For example when they put the g4 up against the Pentium4 and had basically every feature turned off on the pentium 4 during the tests. This is not a fair test. It's like running a race against an olympic athlete with his legs tied together and claiming your faster.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
I was not going to say anything, but I changed my mind. Both computers are tools, and just that. They both work very well for what they were designed for. Some tasks work better on each box. What is comes down to is that which box is better for the task at hand.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.