iPhone 3G Battery Life

Reaction score
I'm finding with a day of fairly heavy usage I'm pretty low by the time I go to bed and have to recharge the phone. Granted, I've only had it a few days so I'm playing around with it and the apps more than I typically would. How is everyone else finding their battery life with the 3G? any tips to make battery life last longer?

Also, does anyone know if the external battery pack accessories that worked to charge ipods would also work with the iPhone?

Cheers

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle
if you are looking to extend the battery life leave the wifi and bluetooth off when not in use

Reaction score
ive been quite satisfied with the battery life.. after quite heavy usage with the new apps and interweb today, i still got the same if not a few min better than i was gettin on my old iphone.

and as i mentioned in the thread i made, the 20% and 10% warnign indicators are actually accurate now.. which is a big help

Reaction score
I have not got the 3g yet. But updated my 2g to 2.0. Ive noticed an obivous decrease in battery life for it, which as you say can only be attributed to the push email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Core i5(3.6 GHz) 8 GB RAM, MBP C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 4 GB RAM, MB C2Duo(2.4 GHz) 2 GB RAM
I have also heard to turn off "push" for mail

this seems to be a debated topic but i think push might actually conserve battery life. depends who you ask though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" 2014 MacBook Pro, i7 2.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD; iPad 3, iPhone 6
This is all very interesting, because if you think the average battery is good for about 250 - 300 charges before it loses 30% of it's capacity, you've got to think that the average iPhone user is going to be sending their iPhone back to Apple within a year.

I charge my blackberry (which as a replaceable battery) 2 - 3 times a week so it'll last 2 years maybe, and my iPod once a week (30 hr battery life).

Doesn't convergence just stink? ;D

Reaction score
This is all very interesting, because if you think the average battery is good for about 250 - 300 charges before it loses 30% of it's capacity, you've got to think that the average iPhone user is going to be sending their iPhone back to Apple within a year.

I charge my blackberry (which as a replaceable battery) 2 - 3 times a week so it'll last 2 years maybe, and my iPod once a week (30 hr battery life).

Doesn't convergence just stink? ;D

Or as Apple hopes, we upgrade our iPhone once a year. If we do that, no need to worry about battery charges.

Reaction score
I have been surprised by hom much my battery drains over night. This is due to "push" email for exchange over Wifi.

Might have to start shutting it down at night.

Has anyone noticed the battery indicator is way off? It will look like my battery is 25% on the battery indicator, but when I start to charge my phone it is nearer 50% remaining.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.5ghz, 4gb/r, 200g7.2krpm
Turn off, unless needed all the time...

3G,
WiFi,
Location Services.

When you go to Settings/General/Location Services (on off toggle) and turn it off it stays off until you use a program that requires the gps or radio tower triangulation, once you open, say maps and triangulate your position, location services will be turned back on and stay on.

I seem to get 1 or even 2 extra bars when I turn location services off, I don't know if its GPS interference or just extra power drain causing signal to be less powerful, but having Location Services off on the new iPhone 3G is a must.

Its a pain but can save you up to 50% of your battery life as I have noticed. And if you rarely use maps/GPS then it shouldn't be a big deal.

3G isn't in my area till november so I have that off and don't get to report on that yet. Wifi definitely hurts battery life a lot as well.

G

grigby1

Battery life

With a three day old 3G I was not impressed with the battery life. I was getting about 4 hours of usage and eight hours of standby. I took it to the Apple store and the friendly concierge reset the phone by pressing the on/off button on top at the same time as the Home button. The pohne rebooted and I now have enjoyed two full days of moderate to heavy usage befor having to recharge. 3G on some of the time, web browsing, downloading apps, fetching e-mail every 15 minutes, etc. I thought I was happy before....

Reaction score
While browsing the discussions at apple.com, I came across some interesting info. It seems that many 3G iPhones shipped without the final version of 2.0 software. To check your version it's Settings>General>About. Scroll down to see your version. If you're running 5A345 or before, you need to upgrade to the final version (5A347). Since upgrading, my battery life has noticeably improved. To upgrade, you can back up the phone and do a restore. iTunes will DL the latest version during the restore. Then install your backup.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I just got the iPhone 3G a couple days ago. It initially seemed as though the battery was draining faster, but I got around it by making sure the GPS wasn't on all of the time and to turn off the 3G when not in use. Also, I was using it a lot in the days after buying it as I was staying over my uncle's house for a few days and he has no Internet (yes, I know, a tragedy). I imagine I'll be getting the same amount of battery as I was with my previous iPhone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
While browsing the discussions at apple.com, I came across some interesting info. It seems that many 3G iPhones shipped without the final version of 2.0 software. To check your version it's Settings>General>About. Scroll down to see your version. If you're running 5A345 or before, you need to upgrade to the final version (5A347). Since upgrading, my battery life has noticeably improved. To upgrade, you can back up the phone and do a restore. iTunes will DL the latest version during the restore. Then install your backup.

My i-Phone is showing that I am running 5A345, so I may be due to perform an upgrade or restore.

Can anyone tell me exactly how the backup / restore is performed. Is the backup the one that is done whenever you plug you i-Phone to your computer and i-Tunes does its thing? For the restore, do you just plug your i-Phone in to i-Tunes and let it do it thing again? Will you be prompted to perform the restore? Are there some step by step instructions on how to do this. I just want to make sue I'm able to get all my contact, appointments and stuff back without too much trouble. :Oops:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.