• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Seagate 1.5TB Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook CoreDuo
hmmmm, half TB for notebooks eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
All of this makes me think of the old days, where I used to say 80MB. I'll never fill that. And look at me now, 100GB and still expanding. I think eventually we'll all be having TB in our computers and having 1 or 2 TB of used space won't be that uncommon.

And thanks for the article. It was anice read.

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
or 9Tb if you use the two spare SATA ports... 7.5Tb if you just use one of them and stick the 5th drive in the 2nd optical bay!

Or 18TB if one daisy chains a few externals together.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Or 18TB if one daisy chains a few externals together.

You see that's just getting silly now. But..... you could plug an external 18 drive rack mounted array in and have 27Tb plus the 9 in the pro giving you 36Tb! That should keep time machine going for a few weeks :)

I just want a 500Gb 7200rpm low power, silent HD with a big cache for my macbook pro. In fact as it is a 17" and will take the taller drives what about a 1Tb laptop drive !

Just finished installing all my software, music, photos etc on the 200Gb drive that came with it and its half full :)

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You see that's just getting silly now.
That was the point. I felt the same way about your comment.
If the Mac Pro has to be repaired, the Apple techs will make you remove these spare drives and disconnect them from the 'hidden' SATA ports. Because it takes some work to get to them, I don't consider adding the extra HDs in optical drive bays a feasible method for most people to add extra storage, much like daisy chaining half a dozen externals. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That was the point. I felt the same way about your comment.
If the Mac Pro has to be repaired, the Apple techs will make you remove these spare drives and disconnect them from the 'hidden' SATA ports. Because it takes some work to get to them, I don't consider adding the extra HDs in optical drive bays a feasible method for most people to add extra storage, much like daisy chaining half a dozen externals. ;)

I know, but it only takes 10 minutes to fit a drive in the optical bay. I am not going to worry about how long it takes to remove things if it all goes wrong because you would no doubt take the machine apart to remove the drives from the 4 bays and the memory anyway. If you are doing that its not much more of a job :) Anyway I am sure 6 Tb would be enough really, I am sure I could just about manage :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
Aren't there already 500GB notebook drives on the market?? I read about them months ago.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aren't there already 500GB notebook drives on the market?? I read about them months ago.

Yes there is a 500Gb 5K drive on the market using 3 platters so it is not particularly quick. Using only 2 platters increases the aerial density and therefore the transfer speed. Also the 500Gb drive that is out already is thicker than other drives and will only actually fit into the 17" macbook pros

OP
bryphotoguy
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
They will also be 7200RPMs as well according to the website. I think they're only 5400 now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.