Help Please!!!! Lost Files After Restart

Reaction score
I am a fairly new Mac user and have loved it and not had any problems with it at all...until tonight. I was on the internet and the signal became weak, so I decided to restart the computer. Pretty simple, but when the computer came back up, my background had changed back to default and my files are gone. What the H happened?? All I did was click on the apple and select restart and it erased my pictures, music, documents, etc. Please tell me there is a way I can get them back? A lot of it I didn't have backed up and I would be incredibly upset if they were gone for good. My OS is Mac OS X 10.4.11.

HELP!!!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It sounds very much like you renamed your home folder. If it's a possibility that you may have inadvertently done this, this article should help you put things back in place.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yep, that's exactly what I did. I tried to follow the steps in the article, but haven't been able to correct the problem. Is there a way for me to just restore the system back to what it was previously?

Thanks so much for your help!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.