• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Crappy You Tube Quality from iMovie?

Reaction score
Hi All. I'm new to the forum and hoping I can get some advice! I created a small movie project in iMovie with some audio and still photo clips. I have a digital SRL camera, so the quality of my photos are excellent. When I create the movie on iMovie, it is clear, not blurry, beautiful. I then click the share button, click You Tube, click Medium, then publish. When I view it on You Tube, the quality of the movie is crappy! It is just ok when viewing it in the small mode, but when you view full screen, it just sucks. I don't understand why? I'm sure it has something to do with compression or something (I have no idea what that means but I did try to research) but I thought the You Tube option was supposed to handle that.

This is my you tube account link, and the video I am speaking of is "Shore with Boys May 2008"

www.youtube.com/souperjen24

Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6_vFpg4GHc

Anyone have any ideas? Any advice would be great. Thanks!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Well, first, YouTube quality is crappy. They highly compress anything you give them. Of course there is more to it than that.

Second, just below the right of the video you see a link that says "watch in high quality". Click that and you'll see your video is much better. The big reason seems to be because UT uses much less compression. Some testing indicated to me that these higher quality videos have 3 times the data rate which would be a big deal.

Third, YouTube high quality is NOT hi-def. For that use something like vimeo or viddler or another service.

Fourth, expanding such a small, and crappy picture, to full screen is going to show all of the flaws in that tiny crappy picture. Truth be told, even blowing up a great quality small picture is going to look like garbage when expanded like that.

I've written a couple of video guides that might be helpful. You could create a hi-def video, export it, and put it up on a better service. You may also want to review the Macworld article about some of the other services.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.