Crashing iPhone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
Hey all,

Got my 8GB iPhone on Friday. Since then it's been great, I love it, but 3 or 4 times it has 'crashed'. Screen freezes, flashes or goes blank and it goes to the black screen with Apple logo, and loads up again.

What's with that? Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it or a particular app - last time I was looking at a photo.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I've gotten it twice with the AIM app since I started using it Thursday evening.
Have you tried hard restarts? Hold the Home button and power button till it restarts? Do you clear the cache often?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I've had it crash 4 or 5 times once the screen corrupted an the vibrate motor kicked in and stayed on til a hard reset was done.

My n95 was no different on day 1 and updates seemed to level it out.

Hopefully we'll get tweaks and updates from apple and app developers now that the iPhones in the wild.

OP
skaheadpunk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
I've gotten it twice with the AIM app since I started using it Thursday evening.
Have you tried hard restarts? Hold the Home button and power button till it restarts? Do you clear the cache often?

Ok, I feel a bit stupid. It has a power button? How do I clear the cache? Should I need to after only two days of use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Button on the top right, I assume it's called the power button.
Clear cache- Settings> Safari> Clear Cache

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, TV, iPhone, Nano
AIM crashes my phone all the time. The first time of starts up ok but if I go to another app and come back it crashes every time. Hopefully they will fix it it's driving me nuts.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Welcome to the iPhone. It's been buggy as heck for a year now, especially every release since 1.0.0, but it's cool :) Just get used to doing a LOT of resets. It's the coolest piece of junk phone I've ever had.

Reaction score
my iPhone keeps crashing also. My screen will flash and my iPhone will restart. I also have an issue with apps crashing. It seems random, and when one app crashes all the others will crash on startup. I have to turn my iPhone off and on to get them to work. Is that a cache issue? I have about 2 gigs of free space. Also my iPhone crashes seem random, and always happen with apps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Reformat and try again. Don't download any apps and see if it helps any.
I have 500MB free and have no problems so it's not a space issue.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
How does Safari's cache have anything to do with AIM crashing?

Maybe you took that out of context. The OP didn't say AIM was crashing. Please read before posting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Same thing. They'll make you do it before you take it to the Apple store for replacement. Trust me, they'll make you do everything before you exchange it. I'm on my third phone now and I've had to do everything known to man before they let me have a new one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Welcome to the iPhone. It's been buggy as heck for a year now, especially every release since 1.0.0, but it's cool :) Just get used to doing a LOT of resets. It's the coolest piece of junk phone I've ever had.

You must have one bad iPhone as I rarely have to reset my iPhone, and I've owned mine since the week it came out last year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I got my iphone 3G last week and was 99.9% I made the correct choice by switching.

But, now I am questioning myself. At first Safari crashed on a certain link at apple.com/iphone, but today it crashed on ebay.com and on yahoo.com. It seems to be getting worse. Apparently all the iphones 3G, either 8GB or 16GB, are crashing on the apple.com/iphone link. I checked this out at a store and a sales rep checked his, but now the other websites?

What will clearing cache do? Will this help me too? I am thinking that I need a new iphone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Blk MacBook 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2GB RAM, 160 GB HD OS X & iPhone 4 32GB
I got my iphone 3G last week and was 99.9% I made the correct choice by switching.

But, now I am questioning myself. At first Safari crashed on a certain link at apple.com/iphone, but today it crashed on ebay.com and on yahoo.com. It seems to be getting worse. Apparently all the iphones 3G, either 8GB or 16GB, are crashing on the apple.com/iphone link. I checked this out at a store and a sales rep checked his, but now the other websites?

What will clearing cache do? Will this help me too? I am thinking that I need a new iphone?
Apple replaced my iPhone, first posted here: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/iphone-hardware-accessories/128571-iphone-freezes.html#post752730

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
It isn't always Safari's fault it may be the website you are trying to display as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.