Overheating, constantly + battery lying to me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2 GB RAM | 120 GB HD
One year old MacBook Pro, 2.33GHz Core2 Duo, 2 GB RAM, OSX.

The computer constantly overheats when ever it is on, so the fans are constantly running at 6000rpm in attempts to cool mainly my CPU. The thing is, it's pretty annoying to have the fans on 24/7.

One situation I've found that the computer won't overheat and the fans won't run in overdrive is when the MBP isn't plugged in. Which, of course, i would do constantly, only that my battery only has a life remaining of about less than an hour. Which brings me to my next issue.

The battery, will never tell me when it is about to die now. It used to, then it stopped doing it, like it hates me or something.

I'm considering buying a new battery, but money is a bit tight. And I was wondering if replacing one of the sticks of RAM with a 2gig would make it more efficient.

So basically...
1) Computer overheating all the time, no processes being ran at all except for the basics.
2) Where is a good trustworthy place to buy a battery at a good price?

Cheers!

Reaction score
RAM could do it, but also, you might need a new battery.. just buy one off the apple store for like 60$.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
To the OP:

The fans are NOT going to run constantly at 6000 RPM unless something is causing them to. If nothing is running in the background it could be a defective heat sensor on the motherboard. It may be time to visit the genius bar at your local Apple store or call Apple Care.

Installing more memory is not going to help the heat problem. The battery, however, may be a separate issue. How many cycles has it been through?

Regards.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2 GB RAM | 120 GB HD
the.gosine - macbatteries are like 120 something dollars.

chscag - thanks for the feedback. i'll do that. the genius bar doesn't require that you still have warranty right? the battery cycles is at 235 according to istat

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.