Leopard Install Disks

Reaction score
Ok, so the Apple dude had me do an archive/reinstall on my new iMac due to some odd font things especially with lines running through the text. Just happens on a very few sites. Side note, we also had bought a MB at the same time, about 6 weeks ago.

For those of you that do have two macs with the same OS (at least in Leopard), a word of caution. The first discs of each are labeled on the disc, and on the plastic sleeve. iMac and MB. But in a total brain freeze due to a/c or the miserable heat or being blonde or whatever, I inadvertently had both disk 2s in front of me and there is NO indication of which one is for which product! A pretty big oversight, imo, on Apple's part. :Oops:

SO, I call up Apple again as the first disk is almost through and I'm in a bit of a panic at this time about which second disk to use. My friend (unfortunately not in Cupertino as is often touted) didn't know either, so he had me ck both disks in the MB and they looked the same. He then checked with someone in the know, I guess, and said just to try one and if it wasn't the right one the iMac would eject it. Well, I fortunately picked the right one. And IMMEDIATELY labeled the disks themselves.

Everything went smoothly, then checked for for updates since their had been a few and waited for them to install.

Annoying, but I still have the same problem in Safari anyway, but at least I learned a few things - the hard way. No prob with the few sites in FireFox, but I'm one of those that prefer Safari. So for now, I guess I'll just live with it. No Apple store just down the street. :|

Sorry for the long post. The moral to this rather boring tale is to either not space out and get disks mixed up OR, better yet, label them! Sigh. :p

And how is YOUR Saturday going? ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My Saturday is great jenny and suggest use Firefox 3 as it is a great browser. IMHO Safari still needs a ton of work.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, yep, I could use FireFox again, but to me that just seems to be masking a problem. Our MB works fine with Safari. When you spend good money on a product, it should "just work" at least at the beginning. There is obviously a conflict somewhere in my machine.

Perhaps my old documents that were saved from Win XP and put on here are interfering somehow? Seems unlikely, but that is one difference between the iMac and the MB, so who knows? Not Apple phone support, that's for sure.

One of the weird sites is the USPS site, which I use daily, for my small home business. Now these few sites that I've discovered so far DO function, but just look funky.

Oh, well. As I said above, just have to live with it for now. I moved from Win for a reason and I seem to be having "issues" - this isn't the only one, but the most annoying.

Hope you have a great Sunday as well!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Hi Jenny I'm not sure if this will help you, but recently after ages of trying to figure out the issue, I replaced (upgraded from an 8mb to a 32mb) my video card in my PC. On some pages, especially this forum and some other ones, there was strange bar code looking lines at the top of pages... While that shouldn't be an issue with yours as it's a new, but might it be either driver issue or worse maybe you need to look at the vid card if that's possible... or maybe it's a prob with safari's interaction with the vid card? But it would be best to figure some way to check that out given it would be under warranty.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi Aqua, side note, but Felix is my daughter's fav, every since my husband bought her a stuffed Felix toy when she was very young. Pretty ratty looking now, but she wouldn't part with him for anything. So - I like your avatar. ;D

Funny you should bring that up, as the guy who set up the system with the airport extreme and migrated some of my old stuff, said via email last night that he thought a video card could possibly be suspect, even though he'd never seen it on a new machine.

Always a first for everything, no doubt. Maybe my machine is the first, big sigh. He also said that FF draws upon the same fonts as Safari does so it shouldn't be a font issue although I've seen font problems suggested when researching.

Sooooo - it looks like a trip to the Apple store may well be in order. At worst case, it will be a nice drive to San Diego. And maybe a stop at the beach, if I can force myself to leave the mall. <grin>

We live in an area in SoCal with well over 300,000 people (we grew VERY quickly - affordable housing and all that) so I doubt if I can get an on-site tech. A store here in the oh-so-boring-burbs would do VERY well, I have no doubt. At least there are a few within in reasonable distance. Many people aren't so fortunate.

Interesting, thanks bunches for the info as it doesn't appear that phone support is the answer.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
lines running through text might be a font cache problem

download MainMenu and use it to clear your font caches, see if that works

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, 2.4GHz Core2 Duo 10.6.8, MacMini
Yep Felix caught my eye :D

Besides the issue with the bar code, when playing relatively simple games, my puter would have problems showing fonts in them and just show them as squares (but quite a few of them would run pretty slow also) so if you can find some games (sorry I can't recommend any of the problem ones as they were on PC). It wasn't all games, just the odd few. I do use ff on my PC and my mini and I didn't have the probs with barcode fonts on my mini.

Maybe also give Louishen's idea a try or Onyx. I'm not sure which is better but both are freeware...

Thanks enjoy your weekend and good luck with and have fun with the imac

OP
J
Reaction score
Well, I found it. To think of all the time I (and others) have spent on this issue. I still kept finding a lot of references to fonts, so this fixed it in about a nanosecond.

I went into Safari -->Preferences -->Advanced and UNCHECKED Universal Access. Why it was checked I have no idea. And voila, perfect page displays now in Safari! Yes! :D

Now to figure out why music won't play in MySpace, which I've totally lost interest in anyway. I'll leave it to those Tina/Tia Tequila (whatever her name is) types and the kids. ;D

Yippee! And thanks for all the great suggestions! Now to have some fun and deal with my work issues manana. Take care!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.