new RAM causing problems for G5

M

MPS_Steve

Recently I tried installing two sticks of 512 MB RAM in my G5. The computer acted flaky after that. The RAM is from Shikatronics and has a sticker on the modules which says "SAP-512MEG G5333". The printing on the chips says "SAMSUNG 202 K4H560838C-TCB3 ZKA154BJ KOREA". Is there something wrong with this RAM? I was told it's compatible with a G5. Any advice would be apppreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
I took a look around and that RAM appears to be compatible. Have you tried making sure that the RAM is seated completely in the slots. If not it could just be bad sticks of RAM

OP
M

MPS_Steve

trpnmonkey41 said:
I took a look around and that RAM appears to be compatible. Have you tried making sure that the RAM is seated completely in the slots. If not it could just be bad sticks of RAM

The machine posted and loaded the OS but things were never stable. We actually have three identical modules. I tried them all in various slots and combinations. The results of the hardware tests never pointed to a particular module as being the problem. It almost seemed to be random. I'm beginning to suspect there's something wrong with the mobo. I'd like to try a different RAM manufacturer though. Any suggestions? I just wondered if anyone else had issues with this RAM in particular.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
This is one reason why I only use RAM that is tested and 100% guaranteed to work with my Mac, and is sold by a vendor that specializes in Macintosh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
Id suggest looking at kingston, theyre ram is very good, as far as places to buy ram, always go with OWC or crucial.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.