Reaction score
The specs are:
Apple PowerBook G4
Mac OS X 10.2.8
1024 MB Ram
1.33 GHz PowerPC G4 Processor
Bus Speed 167 MHz
L2 Cache Size 512K

Ok so I popped in the Leopard 10.5 Retail Version disc. I chose the install leopard option and restarted the mac. The first time I did this I got some kind of error screen (I believe it was a Kernel Panic) that showed up on top of the apple icon. I turned off the computer, turned it back on, and this time it made it to the boot up screen without any errors. The loader icon (the flashy spinner thing) went round and round but out of nowhere, just stopped. I waited and waited but absolutely nothing happened after an hour of waiting. So I tried it again, this time I made it to the leopard install screen and was able to choose my Language, then it went on to the license screen and that is where everything froze. The mouse stopped moving, everything. I've tried to reboot and retry multiple times and it is still just freezing on the install screen. So far, I'm just stuck there with no luck at all. I don't know what the problem is. I'm not exactly a computer genius, but I think it might be that the computer just isn't qualified for Leopard. On the leopard disc package, it says that the minimum requirements are a Mac with a PowerPC G4 867MHz or faster processor. I was assuming this whole time that when it said 867 MHz, it was talking about the actual processor speed (1.33 GHz) in this case. So I was thinking the Mac was perfectly qualified this whole time and exceeded the minimum requirements. Now I'm starting to think that when it says a minimum of 867 MHz it's talking about the Bus Speed, in which case I only have 167 MHz. I don't know though, I'm just really confused and frustrated. Any advice would be of tremendous help.

You should also know that I also tried connecting the two macs together with a 6-pin to 6-pin firewire, booting up his G4 in Firewire Target Disk mode, changing the Startup Disk on my PowerMac G5 to the Leopard installation disc, and tried installing on to his Harddrive that way. When I tried this I got all the way through all of the installation screens, and chose "Erase and Install" as my installation option. It would check the disc for consistency, start installing and then every time, it would just freeze everytime it got to the "Extracting Files" part. Either that or the powerbook would just shut off out of nowhere even with the AC power plugged in.

Thank You.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
No, it's 867 Mhz G4 Clock speed. They never use Bus speed. There is no G4 with a Bus speed of 867 Mhz anyway.

Is all the RAM memory stock? Have you added any RAM to the machine? A lot of Kernel Panic's like that are caused by bad RAM. I have noticed that 10.3 and up are a lot more demanding than 10.2. I have an older G4 Powermac that would load 10.2 but got a KP on 10.3 and 10.4. It was bad ram.

So what I am saying is it could very well bad a bad stick of ram. Do you have your original Install disks that came with the machine? If so run the Apple Hardware Test. It will check the RAM.

OP
D
Reaction score
It's not actually my computer, it's a friend of mine's who really has no clue about the stuff. He just does graphic design. What he's told me so far is that he bought the powerbook when it came out for the very first time and didn't mess with it at all. He hasn't added or removed any of the ram, so I'm assuming it is all stock. I suppose I'll see if he can find the original install disks and run an Apple Hardware Test like you said.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I just did some searching and it seems that older model Powerbook that came with 10.2 had a separate CD with the Apple Hardware Test on it. Have him look for a CD labeled that way. The AHT should find if the RAM or some other hardware has an issue.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All I know is since the Powerbook came with 10.2.8 it seems the AHT is a separate CD. Later Macs came with a DVD that had both the install of OSX and the AHT on the one DVD. So yes, there should be more than one CD with it from the factory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook,2Ghz CD,1.5GBRAM,100GBHD,SL.PowerbookG4 12"1Ghz,768MbRAM,40GBHD,Leopard.imac G3 400Mhz,10.4
This may be a stretch, but you can always reset the pram and the pmu and try it again. I've actually seen resetting the pram work when an install did this on an old powerbook. Anyway, it couldn't hurt.

PRAM
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1379?viewlocale=en_US

PMU:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1431#faq10

I think that model has two slots for RAM, so you could try removing one 512 stick and see if it still does it. If it does, try the other 512 stick.

OP
D
Reaction score
You guys truly are the greatest. You probably just saved me 150 bucks at a repair shop. It turned out one of the memory sticks was bad. I took it out, left the other 512 MB one in there, and everything installed perfectly smoothly, no freezing, no errors.

THANKS AGAIN!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.