MDD SuperDrive Issues

Reaction score
I have a MDD 867mhz Dual running 10.3.9. Yesterday I burned a music cd using iTunes and it worked perfectly. Later that night I upgraded to the brand new version of iTunes and now my computer will not recgonize ANY type of cd-media. I've tried blank cd-r's, cd-rw's, store purchased music cd's and some that I have burned myself. The drive doesn't spit them out as if they are unreadable, it just doesn't seem to pick them up. Is it possible that the new version of iTunes has messed something up?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the Forums.

There are reported problems with iTunes. Firstly are you logged in as admimnistrator?

OP
P
Reaction score
I am logged in as administrator, as I only have one account on this computer since it is in my bedroom and used only by me...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Run Repair Permissions and see if that does anything for iTunes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Do you have a backup external drive with the older version of iTunes? Either that or look for an older version at apple.com.

OP
P
Reaction score
Do you have a backup external drive with the older version of iTunes? Either that or look for an older version at apple.com.

I tried an older version of iTunes, still no functionality. I have a windows computer sitting in the closet that has a dvd-rw (Lite-On), so I took it out and put it in the second bay in my MDD, but a cd in, and it pops up! So apparently my superdrive has finally died, it is the original one that came with the computer so it has lasted for quite a while, it's just weird that it was working good enough to burn a music cd one day with no errors, then the next just not work at all. I plan on getting a official Apple-supported Pioneer drive to replace the old one so I can burn without having to use toast, but at least I can burn stuff again.

Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ahh well that is electronics - here today gone tomorrow!

Installed a Pioneer 115D in my FW800. It is 20X DL and they are easy to fit and as cheap as chips - $39 here in Australia. XLR8yourmac.com has a how-to on installing the optical drive, with photos.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.