Macbook, install: Win XP+Vista, Ubuntu and OS X 10.5.1 external hdd

Reaction score
Hi there,

I am a Macbook user 3rd generation (Mac OS X 10.5.4, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram) and I would like to use my internal HDD primary for my education and work. I truly like experimenting with software like Photoshop, Illustrator, and Logic Studio etc. Further more I like to play games (on windows) and sometimes I need to use Windows for my work or study. At the current moment I would like to increase my knowledge of Linux and am interested in the Ubunutu distribution.

I am planning to order an 500 GB external HDD so I can install Ubunto, Windows XP (and maybe Vista as well) and OS X 10.5 on it. The issue here is Windows. I have searched for a solution to install windows on an external HDD and found the ngine.de site but I repeatedly failed to install XP on my current 80GB external HDD (made several modified ISO install CD’s and none works)

Now I have read a lot about Parallels Desktop but people say that the gaming experience is poor (I need windows for gaming). The alternative VMware is still in beta and according to many others not as powerful as Parallels.

Now I have read some stuff about Cedega for Linux which allows to play Windows based games (range of games is limited?!. But this would mean that I need to reboot to Linux in order to play games, and I would have to use windows just for some minor programs, which in my opinion is a waste of space.

If anyone has a solution / suggestion or maybe some experience feel free to comment.

Facts:

-Windows for Gaming
-OS X for running software like CS3, logic Studio etc.
-Linux for "fun"
-500 GB External HDD is from Western Digital (WDE WDE1U5000E, 500GB USB2.0 )
-Macbook, 3rd gen, OS X 10.5.4, 2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB Ram, 80 GB HDD

(WDE WDE1U5000E, 500GB USB2.0 )

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
This looks to be a double post...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.