Lid won't close?

Reaction score
So I got my MacBook Pro as a graduation present in May, and just the other day the lid stopped closing all the way! The button is pressed in and the lid won't latch. I've tried pushing it in farther, but that didn't do anything. I really would rather not send my MacBook back to Apple. Is there any way I can fix this myself?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
So I got my MacBook Pro as a graduation present in May, and just the other day the lid stopped closing all the way! The button is pressed in and the lid won't latch. I've tried pushing it in farther, but that didn't do anything. I really would rather not send my MacBook back to Apple. Is there any way I can fix this myself?

Its a question of whether it is feasible rather than can you. Of course if any parts are damaged you may be able to get them BUT. What happens if you take it apart to fix and you cannot fix it, then when you return it they can tell it has been in bits! They may well invalidate your warranty. It could be twisted hinges, twisted shell, trapped cable due to snapped guide.

With the fault as it is on a warranted computer I would return it.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I recommend you do not attempt to fix it yourself since the machine is still under warranty. There could be a number of reasons the lid won't close and disassembling it could be fruitless if you lack the needed part(s) to effect the repair. There's also the chance you may do more damage during the disassembly. :\

Let the experts look at it and do the repair. Since it's still early in the Summer you have time to send to Apple and have it repaired and back to you well before school starts.

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.