Copying OS X Install Disk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
I just tried using Toast 8 to make a backup copy of my OS X Install Disk. After copying the original to cache, I put in a blank DVD for the copy. Toast said the original was 7.7GB and my blank DVD was only 4.7GB and couldn't be used.

I've read some posts concerning maiking a backup copy (can't find them using search) but I don't recall anyone saying they required a double layer DVD to do this.

Can someone please enlighten me on this? I thought having a spare copy of OS X could be useful in the future, but I don't have any DL DVDs... I guess I need to buy some?

Many thanks, Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Yep - you need a dual layer disk, check your drives DL layer support in system profiler

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
louishen,

Thanks for your help...

yemilipede,

I called my local Apple store to check on the legality and they said if it was for your own personal backup it would be no problem. In fact, they gave me a web site showing you how you can make the backup with 2 SL DVDs.

Here it is for info: http://notepad.bobkmertz.com/2007/10/making-back-up-copy-of-osx-leopard.html

Noel

EDIT: After reading this web site more thoroughly a second time, I believe the DL disk is a better (read easier) answer :) Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
It is perfectly legal since you are not making copies for commercial purposes

. You may make one copy of the Apple Software (excluding the Boot ROM code and other Apple firmware that is embedded or otherwise contained in Apple-labeled
hardware) in machine-readable form for backup purposes only; provided that the backup copy must include all copyright or other proprietary notices contained on the
original. Apple Boot ROM code and ffirmware, or any portions thereof.

from the 10.5 license agreement section 2 C

OP
Noels
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It is perfectly legal since you are not making copies for commercial purposes

from the 10.5 license agreement section 2 C

Louishen, Thanks for the re-affirmation. I appreciate it. Noel

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.