I am now a mac user! :) (with some questions)

Reaction score
Hello all,

My 20" iMac finally arrived yesterday and I'm incredibly happy with it. I'm also surprised at how quick I've adopted new the OS even after just a day into use, having used windows all my life.

Its amazing how quick and hassle free is. Its the little things that make me love it so much, such as F11 just moves everything aside so i can see the desktop, spotlight finds files instantly! and expose is a dream to work with.

1. Is there any way to delete files without having to drag it to the trash? I keep trying to push the delete button but i get nothing. Considering how Mac likes making things easy for you, deleting stuff this way is a bit puzzling :|

2. On garage band, is there some way of editing the keyboard piano, by assigning sounds to keys? I've got the drum kit up but the notes i want to hit are too far apart and would like them all together.

3. Anyone have any recommendations for web design software? I don't like dreamweaver. I'm using a trial of Coda at the moment which i like.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Hello all,

My 20" iMac finally arrived yesterday and I'm incredibly happy with it. I'm also surprised at how quick I've adopted new the OS even after just a day into use, having used windows all my life.

Its amazing how quick and hassle free is. Its the little things that make me love it so much, such as F11 just moves everything aside so i can see the desktop, spotlight finds files instantly! and expose is a dream to work with.

1. Is there any way to delete files without having to drag it to the trash? I keep trying to push the delete button but i get nothing. Considering how Mac likes making things easy for you, deleting stuff this way is a bit puzzling :|

2. On garage band, is there some way of editing the keyboard piano, by assigning sounds to keys? I've got the drum kit up but the notes i want to hit are too far apart and would like them all together.

3. Anyone have any recommendations for web design software? I don't like dreamweaver. I'm using a trial of Coda at the moment which i like.

Thanks!
1. CMD+DELETE will move stuff to the trash.
2. Don't use it so others can help you with this one.
3. I write code myself and am perfectly happy with Taco HTML Editor. It was free but I see now see they are charging for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
Hello all,

Thanks!

I'm afraid I can only help with the first one. command+delete (the backspace delete, that is) will move a file to Trash. Also, Shift+command+delete will empty the Trash for you, without you needing to right click on it.

I know next to nothing about Garageband (only used it to record /combine some simple audio once or twice...).

I'm not sure what to recommend for web design software since I've never gone more complicated than a text editor (like Emacs!). :p I hear iWeb (comes on the Mac) is okay for simple stuff, but it's probably not what you're looking for if you're looking at stuff like Dreamweaver. There are much more qualified people on these forums that I'm sure will be in here soon enough to advise you on those topics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP
1. you select the file and press cmd+delete, then to empty the trash cmd+shift+delete.

EDIT:my bad, i didn't see the other posts

3.iWeb (which should be in your applications folder already) is a really fast and easy way to make very good looking websites. but after you start using it, you pretty much have to keep using it for that website.

Reaction score
Edit: In the space of a couple of minutes everyone beat me to it, lol.
My reply is below anyway.

----

Hi,

Nice to know you're having fun :)

To answer your questions:
1. cmd+delete ;)
2. Sorry can't help you there, I'm not familiar with GarageBand.
3. Depends what you mean by "web design" - if you mean actually programming, TextMate is the best thing since sliced bread in my opinion, take a look at the example videos here and here and you'll see what I mean ;) If you on the other hand mean something to visually create websites without programming knowledge take a look at iWeb.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks!, yep i've found out how to delete stuff finally! lol, i kept trying to use the delete button but it seems the backspace is what OSx uses.

Edit> few more replies came in while i was typing! :)...

I feel that iWeb is too simple for what trying to do on the web. I'm completley comfortable in programming Html and CSS and looking to get into PHP. When i was on windows i started off on dreamweaver but it got annoying fast and moved on to Microsoft Visual Web Developer (because i was also doing ASP.net projects at the time as well). so i guess i mean, "sophisticated" website software! :) I do like Coda at the moment though, just thought i'd look around before buying it after the trial expires.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I think you should go with coda, it is very good for both simple sites and the more experienced webber

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.