Powerbook Superdrive problem.

S

smread

I'm having trouble burning dvd-r's with my superdrive. When I put a blank DVD-R into the drive it doesn't pop up in finder or on my desktop. CD's and DVD movies work find however. I checked my drive and it's definatly a superdrive.

The brand's I have tried using are
Sony DVD-R 1x-8x
and Datawrite DVD-R 4x

Is there some other process how to write data DVDR's? or am I using the wrong brand? Superdrive is a DVD-R and not a DVD+R correct? or do you have to get Apple Branded DVD-R's.

thanks.

OP
A

agentphish

Just make sure you gto DVD-R. I have had the best luck with Verbatim discs. As have many others.

OP
P

PowerbookG417

if you go under system pref's to CD's & Dvd's there is an option in there that might have been changed, make sure " when you insert a blank dvd " is set to open in finder...that will make the blank disc show up on your dekstop....there are other ways of burning...i never use finder...i always use toast 6 titanium....why dont ask me...just what i use

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
macguru? Im not questioning your beliefs, but thats a pretty basic thing, now the question to ask yourself is how did it change if you didnt change it.

OP
S

smread

possibly factory default? I had thought it could have been something like that, but I gave up after the Finder preference to show DVD's didn't do anything.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
smread said:
possibly factory default? I had thought it could have been something like that, but I gave up after the Finder preference to show DVD's didn't do anything.
well it could be a number of things, I wont mention some of them as I dont want to assume anything or get you scared, but it could be something small like a corrupt system preference to something bigger like a pram battery problem, though I doubt its anything big if you havent noticed anything else acting strange on your mac. either way, I suggest you repair permissions, but by booting from the panther install disk 1, so it creates new preferences, and get an app called preferential treatment. thatll tell you if there are any corrupt system preferences and Im not sure if it repairs them, but I think it does.
so is it working now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.