airport and vista problem

Reaction score
I am attempting to connect a Compaq (HP) SR5414UK PC running Vista to my wireless network: Time Capsule version 7.3.2. This airport network links to a MacBook Pro, a MacBook, an old iMac (G3) and a Dell PC with no problem. I have connected a Netgear 54Mbps Wireless USB 2.0 adapter WG111v3 to the Vista PC, run the installer and have connection to the network, put in the WEP password. The PC connects to the Airport network though with limited connectivity and fails to acquire an IP address, according to the Netgear help document this suggests problems with the network but it works fine on the three Macs, the Dell which is running XP but not the Vista machine. If anyone has any suggestions I would be amazingly gratful as would my 13 year old son.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
alexpat,

Have you checked the settings on your Compaq's firewall?

You could also attempt to do a network "Repair"on the Compaq - right click on the "limited connectivity" icon and select repair. Could fix it...

Noel

OP
A
Reaction score
solution!

Completely bizarre! The solution was remove all security from the airport configuration, the vista pc could now connect to airport, reinstall security through my Mac, input password into vista and it worked! Explain that to me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Vista works in strange ways, eh?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
Might I suggest changing your security from WEP to WPA. WEP can be broken through in just a few minutes even by a novice hacker.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.