New notebook has arrived

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
Well my new notebook has arrived at last: Macbook pro, 17", 200Gb 7200rpm, 2Gb (upgraded to 4Gb now), matte, 1920x1200..... yum yum... It is quite simply the best laptop I have ever seen. I have just finished installing my software, data etc and I am now using it for the first time. There are a few things I didn't even realise, it's sound output is much better than I have ever seen on another laptop too. On the downside it is going to scratch easily! I have had to take my watch off for fear of scratching the palm rest whilst reaching the keyboard (I think this is likely a 17" specific problem though!)

I was going to wait for the new model but as this could be any time and Apple are rather busy at the moment selling everyone phones I decided to just go for it. Even if they release a new one in 15 days time (any less and I could swap!) it isn't going to make mine slower, thicker etc !

Blu-ray would be nice but the Macbook pro is HDCP compliant as from the last incarnation SO I can just slap a blu-ray drive in at a later date! (in theory).

So if anyone else is waiting to buy a new model laptop then I would put my money on 28th July !!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
cowasaki,

Congrats on the new baby! I wouldn't mind having one of those, from what I've heard about them. Hope you get lots of years on enjoyment using it!

Maybe consider buying a skin for the MBP to keep those scratches off...

Noel

jah

Reaction score
concentrate on the bascis:
-get TimeMachine up and working
-get the VMWare if you want to run Ubuntu or windows
-get your cell bt paired
-external kb and mouse = Logitech Edge + Radtec BTx00, the bt600; some buttons are difficult to press

there seems to be a small but available market to re-cycle the removed oem 2gig memory modules. mostly a give away

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, 7200RPM 200GB
I have a 15" MBP that I bought 2 months ago. This was my first Mac, but my 3rd laptop (others were crap, just because I needed SOMETHING for school). When I first started playing with it, I was also worried about scratching it. So far, whenever it *seems* to be scratched, a simple *finger lick and rub* has removed anything that looked like a scratch.

This is definitely the highest quality laptop I've bought, from physical design to software.

OP
cowasaki
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac pro Quad Xeon; 15" Retina Macbook Pro; macbooks (family); Macbook pro 17"; intel & G4 iMacs.
I have a 15" MBP that I bought 2 months ago. This was my first Mac, but my 3rd laptop (others were crap, just because I needed SOMETHING for school). When I first started playing with it, I was also worried about scratching it. So far, whenever it *seems* to be scratched, a simple *finger lick and rub* has removed anything that looked like a scratch.

This is definitely the highest quality laptop I've bought, from physical design to software.

I've noticed that dirt looking like scratches problem. I got a new printer, one of the tiny wireless keyboards and an Airport Express (to go with the airport extreme) at the same time so I have also been sorting them out.

It really is a superb laptop. It is about my tenth laptop having had numerous Compaqs, Vaios, Toshibas etc in the past. The only laptop that even came close to the same quality was the top of the line vaio which was good in its day. Lets see 2 x Compusys ???, Toshiba ???, 2 x Compaq M300, Compaq M500, Sony Vaio, Toshiba libretto, Compaq N610c, Apple iBook and now this. Only the iBook comes close although the libretto turned a lot of heads !! Now that was really portable especially for the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.