Laggy iPhone 3G? what??

Reaction score
Ok so the vast majority of the time when I get a text message and click reply as I begin to type the phone lags immensely. Most of the time pressing the home button and going back into SMS fixes this problem but sometimes it doesnt and its becoming more frequent. Is anyone experiencing this? Please any feedback would be appreciated. its bumming me out and is very frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I get lagging when a page is loading and I want to type on MF. It's a very common problem, especially if you have iTunes running or something else. There's what, a 400MHz processor in there? It's certainly no Core 2 Duo under the hood.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
now that would be the pohne of the future Iphone with core 2 duo... fastest phone on the planet..

OP
X
Reaction score
Thats another issue that also confuses me, I'm afraid to open up apps cuz theres no task manager I have no way to shut them down if I don't want my phone to lag..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
You shut them down by holding down the Home button until the app exits. I do wish there was a way to see what was running, though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Actually, most apps fully close when you exit out of them. There are only a few that actually run in the background, such as the Phone, SMS, and Mail apps.

OP
X
Reaction score
oh thanks thats helpful but back to the lag...is this common guys? Are your phones doing this?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air | iPad | iPhone | iPod Classic | iPod Shuffle | no more money
After updating to iPhone 2.0 I have noticed a couple of occasions when the iPhone has serious struggled to keep up with me. Initially it was just in the AIM app so I though it was just poor development. But now I have had it happen to me shen writing 2 different SMS - the system just started crawling - this is no word of a lie - I had written a complete text of about 40 characters and it was still outputting the first word to the screen - it was about 30 characters behind me.

The next text was similar and I was starting to think 'oh no' what has Apple done to my iPhone. Third text was fine so not sure what was going on. I'm hoping it doesn't keep coming back.

Oh and has anyone else noticed the icon for 'non-EDGE' coverage seems to have changed?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP l iPhone l iPod
this happened to me last night. after i was done playing super monkey balls i got a text and it lagged so bad i was scared my iphone was messed up. i would be spelling the last word but the phone was still finishing the first word in a lengthy message.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
Yes its driving me crazy as well, and I have the old original iPhone but updated it to 2.0

Reaction score
there seems to be some slowdown issues since the upgrade to 2.0.. especially in my contacts list, if i click a letter

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
i hope it was not a rushed update?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is NORMAL!!!
The iPhone only has a 400MHz processor. I am not sure how much RAM though. You really can't expect it to immediately shut down an app and open another and keep going.
Go buy a 400MHz PC or Mac and tell me if that lags. You're lying if you say it doesn't.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, iPod Classic, 8GB 3G iPhone, Time Capsule
This is NORMAL!!!
The iPhone only has a 400MHz processor. I am not sure how much RAM though. You really can't expect it to immediately shut down an app and open another and keep going.
Go buy a 400MHz PC or Mac and tell me if that lags. You're lying if you say it doesn't.

Haha. That's what I was thinking... it's still utterly brilliant compared to my ancient Samsung - and I didn't buy it for speed, I bought it because it does everything I want it to, syncs properly to everything else, and looks well cool.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
which is why i want want one.... i hate windows mobile 6 which is what i have now... please someone pray, i can i go back to AT&T from verizon and get me one of dem dere iphone.

OP
X
Reaction score
Hmm should I bet worried about installing a bunch of apps? I don't want it to slow down...or does the 16G's have me covered?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What does the amount of storage space have anything to do with the speed of the processor or RAM?

I usually have 200MB to complete full, usually around 50MB free at all times.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
well the more apps you have they slower it is at accessing them.. the more free space you have faster it can access it... isnt that how it works..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The more apps you have running yes....

iPhone apps are a few MB, 20MB max. I would suspect you could download every single app out now and still have plenty of space on the 16GB iPhone.

Edit:
I did some math- there are currently 713 apps for download. At 20MB each, that's just over 14GB. I currently have 16 apps on my iPhone, from games to AIM. Total space required for those apps comes to 23.5MB. That's just over 1.5MB per app. If that's the average, the total space required for all apps is just over 1GB. It's a far cry from filling the HD on the 16GB iPhone and "slowing" it down with too much information. :)

I've owned an iPhone for a year now, mid July '07. I can speak from experience here when I say slow downs are normal. I was disappointed when I had to wait when switching from surfing to texting but it's normal. It's a great phone but it's not perfect. I do wish it was faster and that I could listen to music, surf, and occasionally answer a text all at the same time but it's just not possible on a PHONE!

If you think having 10 apps on the phone instead of 20 may possibly save you from waiting a few extra seconds for the buffer to catch up to your typing speed, then only download 10 and keep a few GB memory free. I, on the other hand paid for 8GB, and intend to use every single kb allowed without regret.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.