Laggy iPhone 3G? what??

Reaction score
i have noticed slowdown on some things that used to not be slow.. the most noticeable one is scrolling through contacts.. i believe this is a software issue as they have recently changed this area with the addition of the search function.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminum iMac 2.8GHz
Overall, it seems 2.0 is a little more laggy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Only problem I have is with AIM, otherwise, it seems to be working better than ever. Maybe the new iPhone has some cheaper parts internally.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5
Its fair engouh that bry is backing the iphone cos of its 400mhz processor....but I've come onto the 3G straight from a 350MHz windows mobile handset which never lagged at all.

Its software, not the processor.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
This is NORMAL!!!
The iPhone only has a 400MHz processor. I am not sure how much RAM though. You really can't expect it to immediately shut down an app and open another and keep going.
Go buy a 400MHz PC or Mac and tell me if that lags. You're lying if you say it doesn't.

When firmwares 1.0 through 1.1.4 didn't lag, then no, it's definitely not normal.

I've noticed lag with my contacts. It's ridiculous, I have to wait quite a while before I can browse through my contacts list. It's a serious software issue that Apple needs to fix ASAP. This is supposed to be a phone, none of the other stuff matters if a simple contacts list won't work properly.

I'm eagerly awaiting 2.0.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
I do wish it was faster and that I could listen to music, surf, and occasionally answer a text all at the same time but it's just not possible on a PHONE!

i can do that on my phone now.. i dont see why the iphone cant do it.. i just have WM6 on a samsung SGH-i760... music, surf and test/calls play solitaire all at the same time. dont get it twisted i'd rather have a iphone.. just wanted to let you know you are wrong in you hypothesis of what a phone cant and can do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
Sorry for mis-speaking, I meant to say iPhone in the text you quoted. Jeez- I forgot one letter.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.2GHz 2GB RAM 120 GB HD 15" NVidia 8800MGT 128MB - iPhone 3G
Ive had this problem, but a quick fix for me was to restart my phone by shutting it off and turning it back on.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
oh thanks thats helpful but back to the lag...is this common guys? Are your phones doing this?

Mine does it if I was watching a movie/show when I got the text, but generally not otherwise. Frankly I don't think it's a bug, but rather a consequence of the processor and RAM in the phone, and I've had much worse with previous smartphones.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2x 2.2 C2D MBP 15", 3x Mac Classic, Mac Mini, iPhone 3G, Clamshell
I get lag about every 4 times that I enter SMS, I just have to go out of it and re-enter and it is fixed, occasional lag in web pages

Reaction score
I am having horrible problems with lag for email and text messages. There is at least a 5 second delay from when I type the letter until it appears on the screen, makes the phone almost unusable.

I do not have this problem in other apps such as Safari; just entering text in Email or Text Messages.

I will try power cycling, but I think this is a major glitch in the software. My first gen iPhone never displayed this problem. It is seriously frustrating.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 15" / 2.6GHz / 16GB / 512GB
I have a few problems too, related to lag. I have the iPhone 3G version. In Norway. Contact list problems, text messaging lags when typing, and some other strange problems related to lag i suppose.

I assume this will be fixed with a software update so i am not that concerned. I believe Apple kind of rushed out this software, and they have the 2.0.1 version in development or testing, it is just a matter of time until some of the problems are fixed i assume.

Reaction score
Yeah that's my assumption as well. The problems aren't debilitatingly bad quite yet so I'm not too concerned with it. I've definitely had a better overall phone experience with the iPhone 3G than with previous Windows Mobile smartphones I've had.

OP
X
Reaction score
just upgraded to the new firmware seems like the laggy keyboard is still there occasionally although less than before

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.5GHz C2D MBP & 16GB White 3G iPhone
Not really...

I have my 2.0.1 3G phone that only lags occasionally and usually the lagging lasts for a few seconds before snapping back to normal.

The only real lag came this morning when I wanted to switch to "contacts" but it was stuck on "recent", which was blank. Pressing on the "contacts" didn't make the phone respond although after 5-7 seconds it went back to normal.

I don't know if the phone was in the middle of its hourly fetch or what but it was very brief. I know that I can go from iPod to Safari to stocks (last thing I did) fairly quickly with no lag.

-M

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.