20" vs 24"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
Hey folks -

Well after being a dummy and building my own pc - and Vista has turned into a pain in the butt. And now that my wife has turned into a big Mac fan - she won't touch a PC anymore. :) So my PC crashed and I'm not going to fix/rebuild it. So we're looking into the iMac for the family computer. So the feedback I wanted to ask - is there really a significant difference between the 20" vs 24". If I recall last year there were comments being said not to purchase the 20" due to the video resolution or something like that - and if one could afford it to purchase the 24". So - any feedback folks? We're looking to splurge into a iMac sometime in the next few months.

Thanks -

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.4GHz 2GB RAM 320GB HD
The 24'' is bigger.

I'm not to sure, but I've heard the 20'' has a smaller colour palette, and has a smaller viewing angle. Also its smaller.
The 24'' inch is great (I have one) it gives you so much screen real estate that its amazing! However it does take up more desk space...

But to really recommend a screen-size, we'd need to know what you are into/what are you planning to do with it.
If you are the stereotypical 'basic' user, then the 20'' will do just fine.
But if you do Photoshop, or Video then 24'' is the way to go.

If you have the money, and spend a lot of time at the computer the go with the 24'' inch.

But again, to really tell you what screen size you need, list the stuff you do.

Also, what's with the "A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side..."? Y'know there's a reason why white is a symbol of Apple.

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
The 24'' is bigger.

I'm not to sure, but I've heard the 20'' has a smaller colour palette, and has a smaller viewing angle. Also its smaller.
The 24'' inch is great (I have one) it gives you so much screen real estate that its amazing! However it does take up more desk space...

But to really recommend a screen-size, we'd need to know what you are into/what are you planning to do with it.
If you are the stereotypical 'basic' user, then the 20'' will do just fine.
But if you do Photoshop, or Video then 24'' is the way to go.

If you have the money, and spend a lot of time at the computer the go with the 24'' inch.

But again, to really tell you what screen size you need, list the stuff you do.

Also, what's with the "A Mac Noob - Turning to the Dark Side..."? Y'know there's a reason why white is a symbol of Apple.

Actually I'm an IT guy by trade - and just started working with Macs in the last year. (Mostly Macbooks and Mac Book Pros) but not so much on Desktops. As for the usage of this Mac - definitely photos - my wife is a photoholic. :) And I tend to work/tinker with websites and designs. (And have been known to every now and then to play a little bit of World of Warcraft.) :)

As - so reason why I said I'm a Mac Noob (Cuz I have worked with Windows since Windows 3.11 (gosh) *used to have Apple IIe, then IIgs, then went to college - then no development apps for the Macs so had to go pc - so been with PCS since then* Now turning to the dark side and dumping the Windows environment and jumping on the OS X bandwagon. :D

Thank you for your response though! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
24"- Save a few extra weeks/ months for it. You'll be kicking yourself later. It's a far superior machine that will be viable for longer than the 20" which makes it a better investment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
On the other hand, you can run games at a lower resolution and therefore get more frames per second.

The 20" is a fine machine. You'll never use it and think "this is too small".

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.