Update or wait?

Reaction score
I have seen all the problems with the people updating and their phones bricking I am wondering if you guys think I should wait to update my Iphone to the 2.0 update? I got the opportunity to download it but stopped it in fear of it messing up my phone which would be bad right now because Im traveling. What do you think? Helo is appreciated,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Hold off. Much of the problems are related to the servers being overwhelmed, it seems. I'd wait at least a week, maybe 2, for the fervor to die down some.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks and I was in the middle of doing it cuz nobody responded haha so I stopped the download. Ill probly wait until sometime next week better safe than sorry I guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I updated the day before its official release with no problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I updated the day before its official release with no problems

Heh... in all honesty I did also. Of course, tens of thousands of others weren't yet activating their new ones simultaneously yet.

BTW Kash... that update that was found and linked to the day before... it's the WRONG one. That version is actually for the iPhone 3G. There's a slightly different one for the 1st gen. MacRumors posted a correction about the mix-up with a link to the correct one.

After telling the OP to wait a week for things to die down, I decided to go ahead and download the "correct" firmware from MacRumor's links and install it despite things. Since it was late at night, I imagine I had less difficulties as a result.

So... note to OP... go ahead and give the update a whirl late at night.

OP
S
Reaction score
Thanks Ill try it late tonight. Out of curiosity how did you guys download it before it came out?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
Heh... in all honesty I did also. Of course, tens of thousands of others weren't yet activating their new ones simultaneously yet.

BTW Kash... that update that was found and linked to the day before... it's the WRONG one. That version is actually for the iPhone 3G. There's a slightly different one for the 1st gen. MacRumors posted a correction about the mix-up with a link to the correct one.

I did as well, but my question is what does it matter if it was a 3G version or not? I've been running it since my download on the 10th on my 1st Gen iPhone with nary an issue. So why even worry about switching it? Has there been any documented problems with running a 3G version of 2.0 on a 1st Gen? I mean, why would they have a different OS? The only difference between the two devices internally should be the 3G and GPS chipsets right? (and possibly battery)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I did as well, but my question is what does it matter if it was a 3G version or not? I've been running it since my download on the 10th on my 1st Gen iPhone with nary an issue. So why even worry about switching it? Has there been any documented problems with running a 3G version of 2.0 on a 1st Gen? I mean, why would they have a different OS? The only difference between the two devices internally should be the 3G and GPS chipsets right? (and possibly battery)

If you want to find out the hard way that having the FIRMWARE intended for a different device will brick your phone at some point because of minor hardware differences, knock yerself out. Sheer stupidity if you ask me, especially since getting the right version is so simple, but it's your dollar.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel Mac Pro: 2.66 Ghz, 2GB RAM, 23" HD Cenima Display
If you want to find out the hard way that having the FIRMWARE intended for a different device will brick your phone at some point because of minor hardware differences, knock yerself out. Sheer stupidity if you ask me, especially since getting the right version is so simple, but it's your dollar.

Well first off I didn't say I wouldn't change it, just that I hadn't. I'm on the road now and cannot sync to my Mac at home so I'm not going to until I get home in late July. However, in your haste to make a snap judgment about me and what you think I'm going to do or not do, you still didn't answer my question. Are there documented problems with having that version on an older phone? I've not found any and I've had no problems either. I was just asking a question slick. Spare me the high and mighty attitude...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well first off I didn't say I wouldn't change it, just that I hadn't. I'm on the road now and cannot sync to my Mac at home so I'm not going to until I get home in late July. However, in your haste to make a snap judgment about me and what you think I'm going to do or not do, you still didn't answer my question. Are there documented problems with having that version on an older phone? I've not found any and I've had no problems either. I was just asking a question slick. Spare me the high and mighty attitude...

Well if you want to take words literally, then allow me to remind you I said "if you want to"... I didn't accuse you of having made that decision. Since you did ask "Why worry", it appeared you were taking a very nonchalance view on the matter (thus my harshness... for which I do apologize). With all the complaints of bricked phones from people updating over the weekend, who's to know which were from via iTunes and which from those who used the wrong firmware? This isn't just an OS update on these things, it's the whole firmware, and the wrong firmware can lead to ANYTHING over time. You may be slowly frying the cpu or other hardware on your phone due to minor settings that may or may not differ between the 2 devices. If a new update comes up and the wrong firmware is on it still, then iTunes may well brick the phone not knowing which it really is when applying said update. There's just too much that "can" happen to let it slide, deliberately or not. There may be people having issues, calling it a "2.0 bug", fully unaware they have the wrong firmware. Who knows? Why worry? You SHOULD worry!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Just hold off. PWNAGE 2.0 should be flooding the internet soon.

Pwnage 2.0 isn't going to put the "right" firmware on iPhones with the wrong one. If anything, it's just one more opportunity to brick them when it expects one thing and finds another.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.