Much needed help with XP with missing hal.dll file

Reaction score
ok some-one must be able to help me

leopard was running flawlessly before i did this but as an idiot i tried to dual boot it with windows xp. i did run the boot camp assistant but that wasn't much help. I also had paralells installed on the mac which worked great.

here's what happens
i have a windows XP pro disc in my mac. I boot up the mac it does the boot up sound and comes up with
Press any key to boot from CD...if i leave that it goes to "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
<Windows root>\system\hal.dll"
Please re-install a copy of the above file

so i can't do anything from there except turn my mac off and on again. So i do that and then i press any key and try to install windows xp. it does its thing which takes a while and then it asks where i want to install windows. i try to install it on a 12 gig partition. I format it as an NTFS and that works fine. and then it copys all the necessary files. takes about 5-10 minutes. it gets to 100%, restarts the computer and does the exact same thing again.

please help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
You will need to start over again with the Bootcamp assistant, delete the Windows partition, then complete the steps, then fire up the Assistant again, recreate it, Now try to have the Windows partition under 32Gb, now when WIndows setup starts, and you get to the Format drive screen, select FAT32 for the BOOTCAMP partition, disregard the "quick" format and do the long one, and then let the install process go from there, it should be problem free.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.