iPhone 2G with T-Mobile

Reaction score
Sorry for asking something that has probably already been documented all over the internet but I keep just running into talk about the 3G rather than what I am looking for.

I was wondering how the iPhone worked (2G) on the T-mobile network and if everything fully works if unlocked.

Also if the 3G would have any chance at being unlocked/ working on the T-mobile network if it was unlocked.

I am considering getting the 2G as the entire 3G speeds do not really cause me to want to switch to AT&T and pay a cancellation fee etc... I have seen the 2G in action and it runs fine in my opinion.

Anyone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Everything works fine except Visual Voicemail.

OP
N
Reaction score
Alright cool, would you still recommend using the 2G if you are not super inclined to have the amazingly spoken of 3G connection?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Alright cool, would you still recommend using the 2G if you are not super inclined to have the amazingly spoken of 3G connection?

Yes of course. :) I just purchased myself a 2G off of Craigslist not too long ago. I have no 3G coverage in my area so I had to reason to buy the new iPhone. :) The original iPhone will work just as well, especially with the new 2.0 firmware.

OP
N
Reaction score
Ah cool =) You also use T-mobile?

Will the new 2.0 firmware worked with an unlocked phone?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ah cool =) You also use T-mobile?

Will the new 2.0 firmware worked with an unlocked phone?

No I use ATT. However, it is widely known that the iPhone 2G w/ 1.1.4 firmware works fine with T-Mobile as long as the phone is unlocked.

Im not sure about the 2.0 firmware working with an unlocked phone just yet. I believe they have found a way but I would wait a couple of weeks for everything to be worked out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz intel core 2 duo MBP, iPhone 5, iPad 3
as Eric has already said the 2g iphone works fine unlocked with tmobile. If you don't care about visual voicemail then I say dooooo it :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
T-Mobile will be soon switching to 3G, I think.

Random, sort of, but maybe someone would find that useful or if I could get validation or re-assurance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
Hi, I just got my "new" 2G iPhone running on the 2.0 software. It is on T-Mobile, and it works just fine. You do have to go in to the store and add a data plan for $20 a month though, if you don't already have it. Everything is working perfectly. I used the Pwnage software.

Here is a video: http://cnettv.cnet.com/9742-1_53-50003159.html

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
The 3G has been unlocked to work on tmobile but it requires you to jailbreak the phone and use a sim adapter i.e. bladox,Turbosim SE or Yessim.

Although it is fairly easy to do... It is still new and is very buggy.

your biggest problem with the 3G unlocking is obtaining a 3G outside of At&t for a reasonable price.I got 2 of them off ebay and sold one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Why go to carrier with crappier coverage, pretty similar prices and no visual voicemail?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP Unibody 2.53Ghz 4GB RAM 250GB HD,VERIZON iPhone 4,SIG P238 ,iPad,6th Gen iPod NANO
Why go to carrier with crappier coverage, pretty similar prices and no visual voicemail?

I go with Tmobile because it is significantly cheaper for me. And where I live the service is much better than At&t.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac Intel Core Duo 17" A Little Piece Of Heaven
I have been using 2.0 jail broken and unlocked for T-Mobile using the new Pwnage tool, and every thing is working flawlessly. Visual voice mail doesn't work, but come on, that's not a big deal. I have talked with friends on AT&T, and most of the time I am getting significantly better service. Plus my monthly bill with minutes, texting, and data comes out to $55 or so compared to the $90 I would be paying for AT&T. I can't really complain. EDGE is a little annoying, and I do plan on going 3G some day, especially since I have a new job with quite better cash flow. As of right, it is very good, no problems to speak of.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.