Power Supply alimentation

Reaction score
Hello,

I've just moved to Europe and brought my imac G5 with me, and unfortunatly, I trusted someone telling me that I could use just an adapter and not a tranfomer power adapter, and now, I need help to figuere out what to do.

I bought my Imac G5 in October 2004, and now I am having difficulty as no one as been able to give me the same answer,

I am in Paris at the time been, and like to resolve the problem,

SO when I plugged the computer into the adapter and the plug, I heard a "bang", even so I didn't have the computer on,

I then purchase a transformer and the proper power to be able to plug the computer into the transformer, but I wasn't able to have power,(plug the power cord into the computer as the same time as holding down the power button of the Imac G5)

Does anyone could give me some tips off what I should do? Which piece with reference number I should replace it with? What are the test to find out if my mother board has been defected? I have so many question and no idea what to do and where to start from.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
when I plugged the computer into the adapter and the plug, I heard a "bang", even so I didn't have the computer on.

Where did the "bang" come from? If it was from your computer, it would seem you've damaged the Power Supply Unit (PSU). The wrong voltage and current applied will destroy the circuit inside the PSU, regardless of whether or not you have the computer switched on at the time. In plain English it's called 'cooking the PSU' :( and it means having that component replaced at a Mac repair place.

If the bang was from some other component between the power supply at the wall and the computer, then you may be in luck. Only you can test each component in the line, and I suggest that you do that with something other than your iMac.

OP
S
Reaction score
Well, thank you for your information; the bang came from the computer; as I have power in the line but the computer didn't get started as I did the test after talking to someone from Apple;

SO now, my question is Am I going to be able to get the proper component to replace the power supply Unit and could the mother board have been defected by cooking the PSU?

THanks in ADVANCE; and in France will they be able to change the PSU to a european one and not damage anything else

Reaction score
I would think so, its just a matter of a psu with a slightly different circuity and plug, i dont think apple made specific imacs for different parts of the world, but i could be wrong.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
So now, my question is Am I going to be able to get the proper component to replace the power supply Unit and could the mother board have been defected by cooking the PSU? ... and in France will they be able to change the PSU to a european one and not damage anything else

Here's the Apple Store France website: http://store.apple.com/fr/product/TP936F/A
Contact them about 1) replacing your PSU, and 2) testing the iMac for any other damage that may have occurred.

I think you'll find that the internal operating voltage for the iMac is the same everywhere, but that the external power supply needs to be converted and/or transformed for different countries eg. in France it is 230 V AC 50 Hz whereas your iMac, if I'm reading correctly, was taken to France from USA where the voltage is 120 V DC 60 Hz. Unfortunately you bought a transformer a little too late to prevent damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.