HDD upgrade does not void Apple Care

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
So I called apple and asked them if upgrading my HDD would void the Apple Care, and the lady said no as long as someone certified did it (like Best Buy). The obvious thing is that the new HDD would not be covered under Apple Care.

Will any 2.5" HDD fit?

So when I do this, what do I need to do to install Leopard? Do I simply put in the Leopard DVD?

Does it matter that mine is a "Mac OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD?" Is that just an upgrade copy or what?

And finally, can I just use a Time Machine backup to handle it?

THANKS!

ps- I will not pay Geek Squad $150 to do it for me

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Just make sure the replacement HDD is SATA and meets these specs:

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/hard-drives/2.5-Notebook/

The best way, in my opinion, to upgrade and copy your system over to the new HDD is to use cloning software: SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner are both excellent choices for doing the job. Do some reading on both applications at their respective web sites. You should not have to reinstall Leopard.

And yes, you most certainly can use Time Machine although - again my personal opinion - it's not as easy as using the software I mentioned above.

As for the "Geek Squad" thing, I certainly agree with you. Good luck on your upgrade and be careful installing that new HDD!

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
No one certified should have to install the HD for you. The HD is a user serviceable part.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
No one certified should have to install the HD for you. The HD is a user serviceable part.
Not on the Macbook Pro. You need to disassemble the chassis to replace it.

Now, personally I don't find that to be too difficult but...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Not on the Macbook Pro. You need to disassemble the chassis to replace it.

Now, personally I don't find that to be too difficult but...

Thanks for the clarification. :)

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
So when I do this, what do I need to do to install Leopard? Do I simply put in the Leopard DVD?

Does it matter that mine is a "Mac OS X Leopard CPU Drop-in DVD?" Is that just an upgrade copy or what?
You will need to load tiger (10.4) first if you plan to use the leopard drop-in DVD.

OP
C
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 gig HDD @ 5400, 2 gig RAM, nVIDIA 8600
Thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate your help!

Now I just need to decide if it is worth the risk of having my HDD die and then rip it open again...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Retina MacBook Pro (15")
I just replaced my original MBP Hard Drive with the new 320GB 7200rpm model from Hitachi. While comfortable doing it myself, I took it to a local Apple-Certified shop just so that I could make sure not to ruin my AppleCare. It took them about 45 minutes, and now I have twice as much HDD space and higher performance too.

If you have a 15" MBP, MAKE SURE you get a 9.5mm height SATA drive, instead of the larger one. The 12.5mm only fits in the 17" MBP model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", 2.33 GHz, 2Gb
This is exactly what I'm looking at doing for my MBP, and was wondering about the steps required. I saw that it has to be taken apart to replace the drive, but didn't know what type/size/etc I could use. I have the 17" and would now have thought to check the size of the drive; I just assumed it would hold a normal laptop size drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
what is the diff between a 8MB cache and a 16MB cache??

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 3.06GHz 8GB of RAM 2TB HDD, 13" Aluminum MacBook 2.0GHz 4GB of RAM 500GB HDD

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.