Terminal Errors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
When I launch terminal, I get

login: PAM Error (line 396): System error
login: Could not determine audit condition

[Process completed]

Yikes! Anyone know what this is about? I'm running leopard 10.5.4. Thanks. REALLY appreciate it. I was experimenting with cli-based shell encryptor and had to change a permission of the usr/bin file, hope that didn't cause problem. Thanks again. I really appreciate your wisdom.

T

tux08902

/usr/bin is a directory that contains many Unix utilities. What command did you use to change permissions. If you changed permissions recursively, then that may be the issue? You changed the permission of every file in that directory.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well I've researched up this error a little. And I'm stumped as to what is is exactly. But console might give you a little light there. But I do have a fix for you though. Well I've read many people used it successfully.

Delete this file.

/usr/bin/login

And open terninal afterwards and it should work.

Lastly just have a little patience, and your questions will be answered.

OP
J
Reaction score
Well I've researched up this error a little. And I'm stumped as to what is is exactly. But console might give you a little light there. But I do have a fix for you though. Well I've read many people used it successfully.

Delete this file.

/usr/bin/login

And open terninal afterwards and it should work.

Lastly just have a little patience, and your questions will be answered.

Thanks for response. I sincerely appreciate it. I should have rephrased this question as "how do I manipulate /usr/bin files without terminal (b/c terminal is lagged with that problem. If I can access /usr/bin I can solve it by recursively changing permissins, so how do I do that withou terminal? How can I even access /usr/bin without terminal (which is stuck). Mucho gratitudo. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.