G3 iBook switch to combo drive - master/slave issue

Reaction score
I took apart a g3 ibook, I had mentioned in a separate thread it was not booting correctly - it turned out to be a dying drive.

Now it has a new drive in it I thought I would upgrade the cd-rom to the combo slot-load cw8123.

I've read on the web that this ibook has only one ata and that both the hard drive and optical will be set to master, hence why the ibook doesn't see the cw8123.

Can anyone suggest what I should do next ? Of course I can buy a combo drive that enables me to set it to slave. I'm just trying to avoid putting the cd-rom drive back in if I can. I have 4 of these cw8123 units and want to try to make use of them.

Thanks.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
What exact model iBook is it? The White one or one of the older Clamshells?

A lot of Macs I have worked with from the older days had the drive set Cable Select. Not sure on the older iBook, and is why I am asking which one you have so I can try and help.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
See if there is anything here that helps. They say the Super drive is default master and you have to jumper the HDD as slave.

http://www.applefritter.com/node/9711

Hope it helps. Still looking for more.

OP
J
Reaction score
I had an old 4gb drive with os 9.2 on it so I snapped off the bottom 2 right-side pins thinking that could serve as slave settings. It didn't work. All I get is the flashing ? - curiously when I select option key the drive is seen but won't resond when I click the arrow to boot to it. The problem with setting the hd as slave is that the connector has some of the pin holes filled so I don't seem to have a choice but to keep it as master.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.