iBook v. iPod Touch

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Purchasing question here.....I can get my hands on a used 500MHz G3 iBook w/ 10.4 for $200, but I can also get an 8G iPod Touch for $99 and can't decide which one. I'm a student in college so money's tight and recently built a desktop PC for gaming purposes (don't hold that against me!!); I used to have a Macbook Pro and I really miss the portability and OSX. I will still use my PC for main purposes but would like the ability to take a comp with me just for casual internet surfing/IMing, running itunes, and the occasional word processing here or there but thats about it.

Would the iBook do the trick? For the price, I'm really leaning towards it; however, I never experienced a PowerPC mac and am worried the G3 speed isn't gonna do it for me. However, as it looks from the app store, I can get AIM and other stuff so I can increase the uses of the Touch.

I have wireless at home, at my place at school, and pretty much my entire campus is wireless, so I'll have a wireless network available to me pretty much all the time.

The G3 has 350ish megs of ram w/ a cd/dvd drive. Prob gonna slap a 512 stick in there tho if I go with it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The iPod Touch could never replace a computer and I don't know how you can compare them both. :)

What do you need more, a complete computer or a iPod that is mostly for media but the internet being a small part of it?

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
An iBook this age will have a bad battery

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
The iPod Touch could never replace a computer and I don't know how you can compare them both. :)

What do you need more, a complete computer or a iPod that is mostly for media but the internet being a small part of it?

my thoughts exactly

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.