Mouse Scrolling Problem (software?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Have a peculiar problem with the scroll button on my standard Apple mouse.

The scroll button will zoom, in and out.
It will scroll, horizontally, left and right.
But, on the vertical, it will only scroll down; I can't scroll back up.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Have a peculiar problem with the scroll button on my standard Apple mouse.

The scroll button will zoom, in and out.
It will scroll, horizontally, left and right.
But, on the vertical, it will only scroll down; I can't scroll back up.

Any ideas?

How long have you been using your Mighty Mouse - I am assuming that it is a Might Mouse since you can scroll in a dozen different directions there.

I am guessing it is a dirt-collection problem. That is, because you have been using your mouse for so long, a lot of dirt has been collected inside the mouse itself that has rendered the downward scroll useless.

Apple.com provides a couple of fixes, and one of them is the one with a wet cloth and running your mouse over it upside down a couple of times. I have had similar troubles, and I have tried this method in the past. It worked, but only for short periods of time and it'd kick in all over again.

Personally, I went as far as taking apart the entire Mighty Mouse just to clean the insides of the scrolling ball, and it is as good as new right now and no problems at all.

OP
curt1591
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Because it could zoom, both in and out, i assumed the rollers were clean; I assumed wrong.

But, I did the back and forth, on a damp cloth trick and it works again.

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.