Scared for my iBooks sake!

• Thread starter X Im just meE o
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
X

X Im just meE o

Ok, I'm going to be getting an iBook, as it will soon state below my posting. I am afraid of how it will be delivered, and if it is going to be handled correctly. I don't want it to brake when I first get it, I don't think Apple care covers that. Or Apple... Do you know if they would cover it? Apple care, or not? And if so, how would it be delivered, by UPS, fedex?

OP
T

tritonxiv

Mine was ordered from the Apple Store and it came via FedEx. If it dosent work it is deemed DOA (dead on arrival) in which case Apple will replace it free of charge. I seriously doubt anything physical harm will come to it though. The packaging in which the iBook comes is really quite impressive.

iWhat

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, iMac G5, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod (MANY)!
I don't think you have anything to worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You should be fine - mine was shipped insured, meaning if it's broken on arrival, they'll have to fix it for you...

OP
C

code777

granted UPS employees sometimes try to throw boxes marked "fragile" unpurpose (i have seen this myself) rest assured if it comes damaged you will just have to be a little patient in getting a replacement. No worries.

OP
X

X Im just meE o

I don't think they replace customized laptops.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
X Im just meE o said:
I don't think they replace customized laptops.

If your computer is damaged during shipping, there's no way Apple will leave you "stuck" with it. I think your concerns are unnecessary though, as Apple ships a huge number of computers every day, and if they were often damaged during transit, the company would be losing a lot of money.

OP
L

Lasha

I don't see why you can't get a replacement for a customized iBook...why? Well, it's still an iBook, right? And yea, iBooks come in pretty neat packaging. I've seen UPS people throw boxes into their trucks, but not sure about the "fragile" ones.

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
It does not matter if is a BTO or a off the shelf model. If it is damage during delivery, the vendor will replace it.

OP
X

X Im just meE o

Hi, I don't think it does, etc...

Originaly stated on Apple.com

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you purchase a product from the Apple On-Line Store between November 26, 2004 and December 25, 2004, and are not satisfied, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request, no later than January 2, 2005. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product is not eligible for this extended return privilege and may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA.

If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic software downloads
Personalized iPods
Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
NOTE: Apple recommends that you (1) use a carrier that offers shipment tracking for all returns and (2) either insure your package for safe return to Apple or declare the full value of the shipment so that you are completely protected if the shipment is lost or damaged in transit. If you choose not to (1) use a carrier that offers tracking and (2) insure or declare the full value of the product, you will be responsible for any loss or damage to the product during shipping. Please not that the United States Postal Service (USPS) offers limited tracking capabilities and that there is a 30-calendar-day waiting period before the USPS will initiate a trace.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOURS OF OPERATION
If you would like product and pricing information, our Apple Store Telesales team is available to assist you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, at 1-800-MY-APPLE (692-7753). For order status information or other assistance with an order you have already placed with the Apple Store, please contact Apple Sales Support online at www.apple.com/support/store or by phone at 1-800-676-2775 between the hours of 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. central time Monday through Friday and 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. central time, Saturday and Sunday.

U.S. SALES ONLY
The Apple Store sells and ships products only within the continental United States, Alaska, and Hawaii. No shipments can be made to APO or FPO addresses, United States territories, or addresses outside the United States. You may not export any products purchased at the Apple Store.

SALES TO END USERS ONLY
The Apple Store sells and ships products to end user customers only.

RETURN & REFUND POLICY
If you purchase a product from the Apple On-Line Store between November 26, 2004 and December 25, 2004, and are not satisfied, please call 1-800-676-2775 for a Return Material Authorization (RMA) request, no later than January 2, 2005. Configure-to-order, personalized or other customized product is not eligible for this extended return privilege and may not be returned for refund or exchange under any circumstances unless DOA.

If the item is returned unopened in the original box, we will exchange it or offer you a refund based on your original method of payment. The product must be returned to the Apple warehouse within 14 calendar days of the issuance of the RMA. All products must be packed in the original, unmarked packaging including any accessories, manuals, documentation and registration that shipped with the product. A 10% open box fee will be assessed on any opened hardware or accessory. If you purchased your order using an Apple Business Lease, you may be asked to provide a major credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, or Discover) for Apple to assess the 10% open box restocking fee.

Please note that Apple does not permit the return of or offer refunds for the following products:

Product that is custom configured to your specifications
Opened memory
Opened software*
Electronic software downloads
Personalized iPods
Software Up to Date Program Products (SW upgrades)
*You may return software after rejecting the licensing terms, provided the software is not installed on a computer. However, software that contains a printed software license may not be returned if the seal or sticker on the software media packaging is broken.
NOTE: Apple recommends that you (1) use a carrier that offers shipment tracking for all returns and (2) either insure your package for safe return to Apple or declare the full value of the shipment so that you are completely protected if the shipment is lost or damaged in transit. If you choose not to (1) use a carrier that offers tracking and (2) insure or declare the full value of the product, you will be responsible for any loss or damage to the product during shipping. Please not that the United States Postal Service (USPS) offers limited tracking capabilities and that there is a 30-calendar-day waiting period before the USPS will initiate a trace.
Dead On Arrival (DOA) Product: System Failure Out of the Box
An Apple-branded hardware product is considered DOA if it shows symptoms of a hardware failure, preventing basic operability, upon its first use out of the box. If you believe that your product is DOA, please call Apple Care Technical Support at 1-800-APL-CARE (1-800-275-2273) within 30 calendar days of the invoice date. Apple Care Technical Support will determine whether the product is DOA and offer you the following options:
Replacement: The same product that you ordered will be shipped to you at Apple's expense. Apple Care Technical Support will put you in touch with an Apple Store Sales Support Representative to set up a replacement order and provide the procedure for returning the DOA product.
Service: You may have the product repaired; however, once serviced, the product is no longer eligible for replacement.
Product must be deemed DOA by Apple Care Technical Support within 30 calendar days of the invoice date in order to receive a replacement unit.
DOA Terms and Conditions
This DOA policy applies only to Apple-branded hardware products currently offered at the Apple Consumer Store. As new products are offered, Apple reserves the right to determine whether or not this policy applies.
This DOA policy does not apply to third-party products that do not bear the Apple brand name. You may call the manufacturer directly with any third-party product issues.
If the product is deemed DOA by Apple Care Technical Support more than 30 calendar days after the invoice date, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
If the product is deemed by Apple Care Technical Support NOT to be DOA, Apple's standard product warranty will apply.
Shipping will be arranged at Apple's expense for all products determined by Apple Care Technical Support to be DOA.
Apple reserves the right to test returned DOA product. If the condition of the product is misrepresented by the customer, Apple may impose a $400 handling fee.

I think it isn't going too, but now that I re-read it. It might..... I'm not sure.... >.<

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro & 23" ACD
Well..Number one...that last post refers to the RETURN policy! Not the DOA policy...Number two..I ordered a CUSTOM PowerMac G5 and received it with a dead superdrive...Needless to say they ordered me a brand new(a whole new powermac) one, and put me at the top of the order list :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerboook G4 17" 1.67GHz 512MB ram, iPod 60GB, iPod shuffle
i think we as human beings get a little paranoid when it comes to this situation.
rest assured, Apple would replace any DOA products.
I love Apple because of their excellent service. also, the packaging of the box is designed to withstand shock.

cheers~

OP
M

Maxp0wer2004

Well, i think a well-known company like Apple would replace something that got messed up duuring shipping, unlike HP. They gave me a part-open computer and they wont do anything. Well anyway, Apple would replace any computer that was broken in shipping

OP
D

-DrVuu-

Same here, before I switched, I got a HP with NO Harddrive... i was really p'd off at HP. I just sent it back, got a refund, and bought a Powerbook G4

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Oh, my. This is an old thread.

OP
I

iDVFH.

Apple shipped my iBook in a box thinner than a piece of oaktag! The iBook box itself had a little dent and dings in it but it's encased in styrofoam so I wasn't worried..the only thing that did pi$$ me off was that the delivery guy for FedEx said he attempted a delivery at 7:00 pm on the estimated ship date meanwhile I was at my front door on the phone with FedEx asking where it was. Express in their name, but their far from it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
dual 2.5 ghz g5 desktop with ati 800x video card,14" iBook 1gb
whats oaktag isnt that a breakfast ceral

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah all apple stuff comes in a really thin cardboard box, in which is the actual package (the white box)...

Kinda sucks asthetically I suppose, but at least nothing gets damaged...
Plus they could just wrap it all in bog standard brown cardboard, so I suppose we shouldn't moan..

OP
I

iDVFH.

I hope they don't make a cereal called OakTag..it would taste like communion with a light glaze.. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.