root password

Reaction score
Is it common to know your root password for OS X? I got a low end iBook off craigslist and was never given the root password. Is it common/vital to know your system's root password as it is in Unix/Linux? I'm actually wondering if the person I bought it from even knows it himself. How involved is it to reset it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
The root user is disabled by default in OS X.

Reaction score
to change or set the root password you can boot of the install cd and change it from there (from the utilities menu) or if there is no root password set yet you can go to /Applications/Utilities/Directory Uitlity and got to Directory servers tab. Click the lock on the bottom left to unlock. go to the edit menu in title bar and click it and choose enable root user. go to edit menu again and chose change root user password.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
there really isn't a reason to though. Simply log on as an administrative user and if you need root access (and I frequently use it) simply do a sudo su -

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.