SODIMM 2700 512mb DDR - is it backwards compatible to 2100?

S

slinkychicken

I want to purchase some ram for my new 12" g4 ibook, the seller on ebay state that this type of ram is backwards compatible for the new ibooks? is this true? it's going cheap and i'd love to get it..

Thanks for your healp in advance :p

OP
M

mangoSharingan

Are you sure that you want to get it off ebay? There's always a chance it may cause problems for your new iBook. I'm getting mine off Crucial (only 256MB though) but I don't have to worry about any compatibility-issues because I know they will replace it fast and trouble-free.

OP
C

crisrose

doesn't sound likely - my desktop takes 2700 - if someone said i could put 3200 in it, they'd just be plain wrong

as 2700 is faster, surely apple/crucial would make some at that speed for the iBook if it could support it?

OP
C

colday

I know in the PC world yes you can put faster RAM in. It will run at the slower speed unless over-clocked. My PC supports 3200, although I have 1gb of 3500 RAM.

My PC laptop also has faster RAM.

I'm sure the MAC world is just the same.

However I would NEVER buy RAM off ebay! Just don't do it. You don't have to spend top dollar, just get name brand RAM.

I have Kingston "ValueRAM" in my iBook. It works just fine.

OP
H

HuMpS 97 DoHc

crisrose said:
doesn't sound likely - my desktop takes 2700 - if someone said i could put 3200 in it, they'd just be plain wrong

as 2700 is faster, surely apple/crucial would make some at that speed for the iBook if it could support it?

how do you figured that 2700 is faster then 3200???

also ram is backwards compatible. I have a stick of 512mb 2700 in my ibook and it works fine.

OP
S

slinkychicken

The only reason I'm tempted to by ram off of ebay is becuase the person who has listed the producted bought it froma reputable australian online mac dealer and now no longer needs the 512mb stick as he bought a 1gig stick.... and it's going for an absolute bargin....

I think I may ask to see a picture/scan of the reciept, to ensure that it was purchased from www.macshack.com.au

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4, ipod nano, ipod video and a whole lotta love
Go with Crucial.com, its not that much more expensive and you will KNOW you are getting the right RAM. I just bought some off ebay, didnt work, even though he gave me a refund I had to wait for my next order. Crucial is fast, cheap and they will nail you with the right RAM. PEACE

OP
N

newmacuser07

PC2700=166mhz PC3200=200mhz ... yea PC3200 is techincly faster but ONLY IF your pc supports a 200mhz FSB if not than the ram will clock itself according to your CPUs FSB speed.

In the case with your ibook, its FSB is 133mhz (PC2100) so the PC2700 ram will clock itself down to 133mhz and it should work with no problems at all.

Yes my mhz speeds are correct they are just not shown in DDR (double data rate)

buying off of ebay is fine..we just bought two cars off of ebay in two weeks with no problems

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.