Western Digital and formatting

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
I just bought a WD and I want format it for my mac, but I want it to remain compatible for windows, is there a way to keep it compatible for both at the same time, or will I have to switch back and forth? Also, which option do i choose, macos extended, or macosjournaled?? a bit confused..

thnks all..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
melow71,

Depends on what you want to use it for... FAT32 can be read and written to by Mac. But if you want to use the drive for backup, you'll have to format it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Maybe partition it 50/50 (or whatever) and you can use part for backup and part for Windows.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If you find out a way to partition it 50/50 please let me know. I've tried with Disk Utility on my WD passport essential but I couldn't do it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
Eric,

You mean partitioning the external into 2 partitions doesn't end up with roughly 50-50? How does it end up? My externals are both single partitions.

Noel

jah

Reaction score
I just bought a WD and I want format it for my mac, but I want it to remain compatible for windows, is there a way to keep it compatible for both at the same time

format it in hfs+ and there is a windows app you can buy to read this drive in microsoft xp/vista. search this forum for the software.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.