Data Recovery possible?

Reaction score
I have a one year old iBook whose hard drive crashed completely. Tech support at my work says it's impossible to recover anything off of it, and they want to send it off for a replacement. I asked about those recovery service companies and the tech people told me they don't really work, that you end up paying thousands to recover your lost data with no guarantee they'll really get anything. Is this true? I'm sick over the loss of my photos and music, which weren't backed up...:(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
From what I hear, the disk recovery companies are pretty good, but horrendously expensive...you're looking at around $2000 or so. How much they can recover will depend on how, exactly the drive failed and how much damage there is.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook mid level 2.2ghz 2gb ram, 120gb HD
If the physical disks are in tact, recovery is possible. But as been noted, expensive. It depends on how valuable the data is, to if its worth it. I have heard of some, that have taken the platers out and put them in another drive and retrieved the data, if they aren't scratched.

http://www.intellirecovery.com/data_recovery_process.html

A better priced on -

Linky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Does the drive spin? Does it make unusual noises?

I've had some luck with an App called Data Rescue II.

OP
N
Reaction score
data recovery

Thanks for the suggestions so far. The hard drive makes a clicking noise when the computer is on, and the screen just shows a folder with a question mark. :(

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.