Keeping Wifi on in Sleep Mode

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Is it possible to keep Wifi on when I close the screen(So it goes to sleep)
Because I always close my screen when I am away for like 5 min, but then MSN gets off and if I am downloading something the download also stops
Is it possible to keep MSN on and keep downloading a file when closing the screen

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
By definition, no.

Sleep mode puts your computer in an extremely low-power usage state. Basically there is only enough power being expended to allow the contents of the memory to stay stable.

If you want to keep your computer running while the display is closed, try InsomniaX. Personally, I just leave the lid open and turn the backlight off by turning the brightness all the way down. This way my computer can still breathe normally and heat generation is kept to a minimum.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No. When the machine goes to sleep everything stops (except of course the power for memory and to bring it out of sleep mode) which would mean that internet activity stops and along with that any downloading.

Rather than put the machine to sleep during a download or while you're away, set the screen saver on and password protect it so that no one can have easy access except you.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black and MacBooky I guess
Ya there is no way the same thing happens to me

OP
H

Hit

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.4Ghz
Oh ok, is there maybe a way to not put in sleep mode when closing screen but put in that Login Windows Screen?
Because sleep mode costs 15W, and Normal 30W And as I'm away only 5-10M It wouldn't matter
I personally don't use sleep mode at all actually I just power it off when I'm done because 15W still is pretty much if I would put it in sleep mode at night

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.