• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Is this possible

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
I am able to copy a DVD to my HD and watch it? I do not want to burn it in any way shape or form.. Just copy it to my HD so I can watch it. I Mac is a MBP, and I do not have iLife. thanks for any help.

Johnny

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
I dont want to crack the encryption. I want to watch movies on my MBP like iTunes has you know the movies that rent/ you can buy in it....

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
you can just put in a DVD and watch it with DVD player without ripping

as said, we cannot discuss ripping encrypted DVDs on the forum

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon to come!
So is putting a dvd on your ipod illegal?

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2007 MBP Glossy 2GB Ram
ok so if i play a dvd disk from my cd drive will that take up more battery power that my hard drive to watch a movie on it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro (early '08), 2.6 dual core duo, 2 gb ram, 200 gb 7200 rpm hd, running Leopard
Considering that you would need to read the information twice (once to rip it TO your HD and again to read it FROM your HD) I would say that it would use less power to just play it directly from the DVD.

I'm wondering how fine the line is when in discussion about ripping DVDs. By using the words "ripping" and "DVD" in the same post am I in danger of breaking the rules?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
I was ripping my pants while watching a DVD. ;)

Yes, to take ANY of the data off the disc and put it on any other medium requires you to break the encryption. It's as simple as that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP - 895LL/A - 15.4" Santa Rosa C2D - 2GB RAM - 120 (onboard), 500GB ext FW/eSATA/USB2 HDDs
Personally, I agree with the note that it would take twice as long for the process to be done, if you decided to do so. I wouldn't bother with putting any DVD info on a HD, unless (1) it was something I owned (like, for instance, the 2 DVD's worth of raw footage from my wedding last year) or, to follow that, (2) if it was some footage I'd want to edit (such as the raw footage). So, without going into the "do's" and "dont's" of DVD ripping, I'd just not waste the time on such an endeavour. Maybe I'm lazy?? ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
If u were running on battery power, it would take less power to play a video off of your hard drive, than to run the disc drive to read the dvd.

There is a program called handbrake I have seen people recommend, but I'm not entirely sure how it works.

Personally, I have never burned a dvd movie or anything like that, since you can find good movies for about $5. I can understand your desire to copy the movie to your hard drive, and if you own the movie, than you have the right to use it as you wish. You are exercising the same concept as downloading songs into your itunes, so I am unsure why people are flipping out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone
You are exercising the same concept as downloading songs into your itunes, so I am unsure why people are flipping out.

There isn't an encryption built into a CD but there is one built into commercial DVDs. :) So, it's different in the eyes of the law.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.