Proud New iMac Owner - Finally!

Reaction score
Hello all,
I would just like to re-introduce myself. For the past few years, I have had the internal debate on whether to switch from Windows to Mac. I am a big fan of Apple, and I've heard such great things about Macs. It's obvious Mac users are passionate about the operating system and Apple as a whole. After years of sporadic research and scouring these forums, I'm ready to make the switch.

I'm ordering from the Apple Store and here are my specs:
iMac 24" 3.06 GHz
4 MB memory
1 TB hard drive
Wireless Mighty Mouse and Keyboard
AppleCare 3-Year Protection

I will also be purchasing CS3 for graphics design and web development.

I'm looking forward to being a devoted Mac user and forum member!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP, 13.3" || iMac 20" 2.16 GHz C2D, 250 GB HD, 2 GB RAM, || 32GB i-Phone 4 || 32GB AT&T 3G iPad
Great machine you have there. If you haven't already ordered yet, you can save a little bit of money by getting the bare minimum amount of RAM from Apple and load up on additional memory from Crucial or NewEgg. Again, great machine. You'll love it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24" Imac
Great machine you have there. If you haven't already ordered yet, you can save a little bit of money by getting the bare minimum amount of RAM from Apple and load up on additional memory from Crucial or NewEgg. Again, great machine. You'll love it.

I agree. if you havn't ordered i would purchase the addition ram from crucial. its very simple to fit. simply undoing one screw and then slotting it in. i upgraded my 2.4ghz imac from 1GB ram to 3GB for about £28, i think apple charge £120 for the additional 2GB. :eek:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4ghz 24" Imac
Im chuffed to bits with my imac. i've had it since december and couldn't live without it.

OP
J
Reaction score

I definitely considered this. Call me crazy, but for some reason I get peace of mind with factory installed products and will pay more for them. It's almost an OCD of mine, actually. If I know I can click on the specs within the computer and see that the computer originally only came with 2MB of memory, but it really has 4MB because I upgraded, it almost detracts from the computer for me. I'm pretty picky when it comes to this type of stuff, but then again, I'm the guy that has to have his iTunes files perfectly in order or I get anxious.

Not only that, but this computer is the beginning of my Mac artillery and I plan to have it around as my main computer for a while. I'll eventually add a MacBook Pro and at some point the iMac will get outdated and I'll add a new desktop. But I look at it as a prized possession, and I'd like it perfect. Sticking third party memory in it is like painting over the original paint on a classic car. It just feels wrong for me.

Honestly, I didn't even like the idea of purchasing an iMac from the inventory of our local Apple store and installing the additional memory there. Sure, it's the same thing they do in the factory, but it just feels right for it to be done in the factory. Not in a store at my local mall. :Confused:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 2.5 i5/16Gb/500Gb/Radeon 6630M-256MB
Excuse me while I steal your iMac......

.....kidding....welcome to the forums !

Reaction score
Can i make a suggestion, as someone who dislikes dreamweaver (a lot!), there are plenty of web design software available which are much cheaper than cs3.

If your going to be using dreamweaver a lot it might be worth checking out other software first, something like Coda or RapidWeaver.

Youd probably still use photoshop though so it might be cheaper to buy photoshop on its own, rather than $2000 on dreamweaver and photoshop.

Otherwise, awesome spec for an imac! ;D

Reaction score
Thanks for the RapidWeaver tip... I was going to get Dreamweaver... I currently use FrontPage on the PC but obviously need to switch to something else. Is there a cheaper graphics program than Photoshop that you recommend? Currently I use Paint Shop Pro for the PC.

OP
J
Reaction score
Can i make a suggestion, as someone who dislikes dreamweaver (a lot!), there are plenty of web design software available which are much cheaper than cs3.

If your going to be using dreamweaver a lot it might be worth checking out other software first, something like Coda or RapidWeaver.

Youd probably still use photoshop though so it might be cheaper to buy photoshop on its own, rather than $2000 on dreamweaver and photoshop.

Otherwise, awesome spec for an imac! ;D

I appreciate the insight. I will most likely cross the software bridge in the future, but my situation is somewhat unique and I need a platform that I am familiar with and won't require a lot of downtime to learn. I've used Creative Suite software in the past, as well as Dreamweaver. I realize it has its flaws in writing code and can be very sloppy; hopefully in the near future I will be able to streamline and be a little more efficient. Right now, after doing a ton of homework, I just feel it's the right fit for my particular situation.

Thanks again for everyone's input. My computer arrives this afternoon!

Oh, and yes, I meant 4 GB, not MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8 GHZ/2GB/320GB/Leopard
Congrats on the switch! I just got the 24" 2.8 iMac and LOVE it! Welcome to the mac world...careful it's very addicting.

Reaction score
Just picked mine up yesterday. I've been on a mac less than 24 hrs and I'm already addicted. I originally intended to keep my pc for some other things, but I'm ready to dump it now. I have some questions relative to that which I am about to put out there.

Reaction score
didjaever,

I use photoshop myself because its the norm in pretty much any graphics job. The GIMP is a free alternative. Never used it but its very popular apparantley. Give Coda a go for the web design as well. Its what i currently use (you get a 14 day trial) But i'm very impressed with it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.