Connecting to Wireless Network

Reaction score
I presently have a secure wireless network set-up using a wireless router/modem from Verizon that has a desktop and PC notebook... Will I be able to easily add the MacBook (using my key) to this present set-up or will the Mac need to equipment???

Thanks!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mid 2009 MacBook Pro  Mid 2007 iMac  4G iPod Touch  iPhone 4S  iPad
It shouldn't be a problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook, 2.2 GHz, 4GB RAM
didjaever,

I have the same set-up. Your Mac should see the PC (if it's on) and you can select that network. Look under System Preferences/Network, click on Airport and your network should show up at the right-center. It will ask you for your key - enter it and you're in business.

Noel

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro, White macbook, iMac
I agree with the above .
It's so easy compaired to the Windows option.

Reaction score
Well, I wish it was easy. I just bought a Toshiba Satellite w/ all the bells n whistles, but unfortunately Vista too. not so sure I like the OS. ANyway, I am running a network off of my iMac w/ Airport. I connected immediately to the network w/ my PC, but am not able to see either computer or shared folders from teh other computer. I've gone thru the multiple setup suggestions found on the internet, but nothing seems to work. Even simply running my mac IP from my PC doesn't work. The login for my mac pops up, I type in my username and password, and it says the username/psswd are invalid. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. I HATE NETWORKS. I've never been able to get file sharing to work between computer, so suffice it to say, I'm surely the problem.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Reaction score
I have a Windows network, and mine went together seamlessly.

In Windows, you have to set up the network by naming it and setting permissions. For example, MSHOME is default. You then set up file and printer sharing, and then you can connect to any machine with those parameters. Macs don't need that, but you have to do that on your PC or it'll never work.

Also, check you firewall settings on the PC. Turn it completely off. Your router should have a better firewall anyway, and it takes out some steps.

From the Mac, if I want to connect to a Windows shared drive, you select "Connect to server" from the "Go" menu in Finder. Type in the IP of the computer you want to connect to, enter your password--and you only have to do that once--and bingo, there are your shares. Then you just click them and they "mount" like a drive.

If you want to manipulate files from one machine on another, get a VNC program. I have Chicken of the VNC on the Mac and Ultravnc on the PCs, and it works perfectly.

To make sure that your Mac is shared, highlight the drive or folder, select "get info" and make sure that the "shared folder" box is checked.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.