• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Sony Handycam and Mac

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am planning on getting my first Mac (yay!) anytime soon. It's gonna be a MacBook with the new OSX Leopard system. I also plan to get Final Cut Pro 6. I currently own a Sony Handycam DCR-SR55E (a hard disk drive camcorder (HDD), so no tape). My question is... Will my camcorder be compatible with my Mac and with Final Cut Pro 6? The reason I ask is because I have heard rumours and seen posts with regards to Mac and Sony not really being good friends. My camcorder records in mpeg2 and Macs use mpeg4. Is there a way round this? Does this only apply to old Mac operating systems and previous versions of Final Cut Pro? Help!

Also, does iMovie 08 support HDD camcorders and mpeg2?

Many thanks,

Bob D

Amendment: I may not be able to afford Final Cut Pro so might get Final Cut Express 4. So the same questions apply to this as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.