Web Host

DaZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
Could anyone recommend an affordable and reliable web host for conducting business? I would like a package that includes a reliable user friendly shopping cart. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro 4GB
I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.

Reaction score
Do not, I repeat, Do not use GoDaddy as a host provider.

They tend to lock down way too much on there servers which cause issues for the customers. I suggest only purchasing domains from them and possibly SSL Certs if needed.

Other webhost providers you should look into are DreamHost.com, MediaTemple.com, & Flashlevel.net

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core 2 Duo, PPC G4
I use little Oak Hosting and the support is fantastic and Mac-friendly. I use it now for hosting my business website as well as some personal sites. They have a low-end package for $25 a year, as well as larger packages if you need more storage space or bandwidth. I don't know about hosting a shopping cart with them since I use Kagi and eSellerate for my business, but you can email Christopher at little Oak and he'll let you know if that service is available.

Claire

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13"/2.0Ghz/4GB/80GB/White Macbook
i second mediatemplate, its who I'm moving to after my godaddy expires.

OP
DaZ

DaZ

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac 2.8GHz, Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, iphone 3G, & Classic ipod
Thanks everyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
We have a hosting company also, but no website at this point :) We have a lot of clients on it and the main thing we offer is support for the eShox shopping cart. It is a paid for cart, but it's one of the best out there and our company can modify it to do whatever the client needs that is special to their business. Plus of course free shopping carts that come along with the fantastico hosting package.

I also 2nd the godaddy thing that was said.. they are cheap, but they lock everything down so that if you want anything but a basic website you won't be able to use them.

If you have any questions, regardless of whether you use our service or not, Im happy to answer them :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13.3 " MacBook - White 2.0 1 Gig 80HHD
I've been looking at two recently for my Little Brother - www.godaddy.com and www.1and1.com - both are reasonably priced, offer competitive services, shopping carts, etc., and can be set up with very little hassle.

And take my word for it - dont take either GoDaddy or 1and1.com. If you want a good service - go with a more customer based web hosting. You will get crappy service from both GoDaddy and 1and1.com

Reaction score
Has anyone used InMotion for hosting services for small businesses? I am developing a community forum/chat based website and need a starting point for hosting. It will eventually be more dynamic than your typical forum style site, such as this one. (No offense to this site because it's great!)

I've glanced over the sister site for hosting, but at first glance the jargon is way over my head and takes some time to really dive into. I figured I'd chime in here before I invest a lot of time into scouring those boards.

I see myself starting out with a shared server, maybe push that envelope into the virtual shared level, and eventually a dedicated server. I'll cross those bridges when I get there, but I'd like a customer service oriented, relatively cheap (under $20 a month) host provider that will respond to my issues and concerns in a timely manner. I'm assuming the competency is already there, obviously.

Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
Hi Justin, nope I do not, or any of my clients use InMotion, sorry. We have 4 hosting packages, they are not the cheapest, but we do provide the exact type of support you are looking for, we are very quick through email and are almost always available by phone. We do host a lot of clients and even though they can get it cheaper elsewhere, they do love the fact that we provide excellent support :)

BRONZE - $8.95 ($107.40 Yearly)
150MB storage, 3GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Yearly

SILVER - $14.95 ($44.85 Quarterly)
400MB storage, 7GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

GOLD - $25.95 ($77.85 Quarterly)
1000MB storage, 15GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Quarterly

PLATINUM - $49.95 (Monthly)
3000MB storage, 40GB Transfer, Unlimited FTP/Email/Mailing Lists, Paid Monthly

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Rick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.