Keeping the keyboard nice and clean.

Reaction score
I really love my new MacBook, but I want to keep it in pristine condition. As it is, I have an exterior hard shell case on the MB, but the screen and keyboard is still "bare," so to speak.

I noticed that each night, before I turn off the Mac, some keys on the keyboard are "shiny," as if having some kind of residue on them. This is particularly evident on the space bar. I've seen this kind of wear on other keyboards, and I assume it is just oil build up from constant finger tapping.

What can I do to contain the issue? I want to keep my MacBook as clean as it was when I opened the box!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook White 2.16GHz 2Gb OS X 10.5, 16Gb iPhone 3G Black
you can buy keyboard protectors for your macbook. it basically puts a rubber-like material between your fingers and the keyboard... from what i've heard is that you soon start to forget it's there.

I think the most popular model is called the iSkin. Google it, not sure how much though.

Reaction score
I used a keyboard protector for the first three days and didnt really get used to it. Nothing beats the feel of the real keys, imo. My advice: Always wash your hands before using. Wipe your keyboard and trackpad with a damp cloth at least thrice weekly (be sure to turn it off before doing so). I use a solution with 2% alcohol just for that, but don't use same liquid with alcohol for your screen. Use canned compressed air spray often to keep dust from seeping between your keys, especially after you used your Mac outside. It's also a great way to dry your Mac after wiping it with the damp cloth.

Reaction score
you can buy keyboard protectors for your macbook. it basically puts a rubber-like material between your fingers and the keyboard... from what i've heard is that you soon start to forget it's there.

I think the most popular model is called the iSkin. Google it, not sure how much though.

I have tried that protector before, I dislike the whole rubbery feel to it. But, of course, it's the best way to keep your keys clean in my opinion.

In the mean time, you can always download the application called Keyboard Cleaner. It doesn't clean your keyboard of course, but it paralyzes it while you clean it with a cloth or wet tissue. Kind of useful when you don't want to shut down your Mac just to clean the keys.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz MacBook
I have the iSkin on my keyboard right now. I don't really care if I don't like the feel of it. But I kind of like it more since it's quiet unlike my PC keyboard which is freaking loud. If you want to keep it clean your best bet would be to purchase a iSkin (they come in different colors) since the dust and oil substance from use collects onto your iSkin and you can wash that. I wouldn't mine if it didn't feel good as long as it kept my MacBook clean but that's just my 02.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.